UnitedHealth Group - Great place to work! The overall environment was wonderful. The company strives to give back to the community. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"Great place to work! The overall environment was wonderful. The company strives to give back to the community."

Former Employee - Health Advisor in Tonawanda, NY
Former Employee - Health Advisor in Tonawanda, NY

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and management was generally pleasant and fair. Many opportunities to advance if you are good at what you do, you will be recognized.

Cons

Fair company to work for if you like the call center atmosphere. (Basically, you will be penalized if you go to the bathroom when not on a break or lunch, but your metrics will even out of you are careful and know how to be mindful of your time for breaks, lunches and be efficient)

Advice to Management

A particular member of management was not as fair as she could be because she felt her own medical problems were greater than her co worker or employees medical or personal issues and showed little compassion.

Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group

1. "Great company continuously growing"

Former Intern - Intern
    Former Intern - Intern

I worked at UnitedHealth Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked as an intern and was very much impressed by the overall atmosphere and growth of the company. I t was voted Best places to work

Cons

Job could sometimes be dull on slow days but overall I was kept busy and learned a great deal

"Negotiate your pay BEFORE you start"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Horsham, PA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Horsham, PA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall, I like the organization very much. I'm in M&R and my department is one of the more flexible ones in the company, even in the building.

Great work from home policy (my dept allows two days per week)
    Generous PTO
    Supportive team. I haven't met a single disagreeable person in my department.
    Casual attire in the Horsham office.

Cons

Don't expect significant raises or salary increases. Despite all the positive propaganda about the success of the company throughout the year, come bonus time the company suddenly "didn't do so well this year." Best to negotiate a better salary at the door bc you won't move up much once you're here.

The health benefits! It's a common complaint here. How ironic that I now have the worst benefits I've ever had in my career.

The company is all about employee engagement, but a lot of times it is forced engagement. Sometimes, employees are happier when they are left alone. The company needs to distinguish employees who want to be engaged from employees who prefer just to keep their heads down.

I lucked out with my department, but management and policies vary significantly from team to team and department to department. There is not a lot of consistency here.

Advice to Management

Employees want straight talk throughout the year. If one side of the company isn't doing well, let us know. Don't have us thinking we're going to be rewarded for our success at the end of the year and then throw us a curveball.

The bonus distribution unfairly punishes one segment of the business. In 2012, Insurance Solutions did really well, but because Optum didn't do well, no one got rewarded. I can't help the success of Optum, so I shouldn't be punished for their performance.

Look at the varying policies across the departments. Encourage departments to institute successful policies from other areas. This will lead to more consistency across the board.