UnitedHealth Group - Ok | Glassdoor

"Ok"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Columbus, OH
Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Columbus, OH

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and convenient location

Cons

Long hours although short commute

Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"If you don't work in a position that supports their core business, you won't feel safe"

Current Employee - Healthcare Content Writer
    Current Employee - Healthcare Content Writer

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Possible work at home opportunities

Cons

Having to bite your tongue as you watch leadership bozos think they're making the world a better place.

I was with a company that was bought by United Health Group. They (the people that brought me in to the company) said UHG promised autonomy. Yeah - that lasted a month, maybe. We went through three CEO's in four months.

UHG honestly didn't know what to do with the company once they bought it with an objective to compete with WebMD. Eventually, the entire editorial staff was let go because they began purchasing content from a third party healthcare content provider (which they probably could have done in the first place without purchasing and dismantling an entire company).

We were often not asked to write about certain medical procedures and treatments, mostly out of fear that people they insured would find out about them and then request them, thus effectively lowering company profits.

In my dealings with people from the home office in Minnesota, it was not hard to see that I was not dealing with the best and brightest. It was like walking into a giant pissing contest - collaboration and ideas are frowned upon.

The insurance they offer employees seems worse than what they offer to the general public.

They denied raises based on a "projection" of market conditions, despite the fact that the company had experienced record profits the year before.

If you want to work there because you need a paycheck, that's one thing. But don't get comfortable thinking this is your home and they have your back. That is unless you like being a drone. Don't rock the boat, don't introduce innovations that might make things more efficient and effective.

Advice to Management

Get a clue!

"This was not the best work environment in the world."

Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in Overland Park, KS

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you like to be micromanaged, this is the job for you.

Cons

Training is horrible and trainers don't seem to care.

Advice to Management

Training materials readily available. Sit in on training classes to see how they are taught.