UnitedHealth Group - Great starter position | Glassdoor

"Great starter position"

Current Employee - Provider Representative Services in Columbia, MD
Current Employee - Provider Representative Services in Columbia, MD

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Telecommute options are available for certain positions and the offices are nice. Community events in call centers make the atmosphere exciting.

Cons

Not much room for growth. Given extra responsibilities outside of what you are hired for with little to no raise and no opportunity for promotion. There is also a high turnover rate. My last two raises were only 1% though the cost of living in MD continues to rise

Advice to Management

Be consistent with your expectations. There is a lot of favoritism in my center which discourages people from trying harder. Allow room for promotion to those that show incentive. Raises and pay should be comparable to other companies offering the same positions.

Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"Decent stepping stone type of job"

Current Employee - CCP-customer Care Professional in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - CCP-customer Care Professional in Centennial, CO

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Weekly pay, easy work, decent coworkers

Cons

Favoritism is huge here so kising up would be an asset to your success. If you're not that type(I'm not) then plan to be in your same position until you quit or are fired.

Advice to Management

More training is needed for sure. Compassion is lacking, and the leaders lack leadreship skills.

"Optum: Well organized, very smart people, good environment; Disadvantages of Corporate."

Former Employee - Data Manager in Rocky Hill, CT
    Former Employee - Data Manager in Rocky Hill, CT

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is well organized,focused on process and training improvements, and has one of the most intelligent groups of people I have ever worked with.

They also have one of the premier healthcare analytics products available, though it is unclear with Obamacare's mandated coverage how important this will continue to be.

Cons

With that said the culture is one of hard, high-quality work; and relatively comparatively ego-less support of coworkers toward the best outcome for the customer. In my 7 years there I could always find this or that little thing to complain about; but I was always treated with respect and there was never a time when I saw someone try to cast blame, or put someone down for other's benefit. That safety may not be ubiquitous throughout the company; but was certainly widespread in my working area. There was also a large push last year to focus of people keeping working hours at 40, which greatly benefited work life balance

Pay, and PTO seem about standard for the industry, and the industry is undervalued as a whole. Improving pay/benefits would make it easier for the company to keep top tier people. I worked remotely, and found that remote workers were not utilized fully or given the same opportunities in the company... Some of that may be endemic to the situation, but is still a major weakness.

Advice to Management

The part of the company where I worked also goes thru a reorganization and often layoffs -- which catch a lot of really good workers -- about every 10 to 16 months, often just as people finally get settled into the new processes, so these re-orgs cause a lot of wasted time and effort, and damages employee trust in upper management.
    It also tends to push people into thinking that if something doesn't work really well; just stick it out as the problem will be re-organized away after awhile, rather than them working harder and pushing back to make it work better.

The biggest areas that management needs to improve (aside from the typical pay / PTO / total compensation): There need to be fewer re-orgs; and rather than ramping up staffing then doing mass layoffs (which causes a lot of good people to leave in itself); the company should hire more slowly and take the effort to go thru the processes of culling, say, the lowest 10% performers individually, if that is the strategy they choose; they should also find and stick with an organizational strategy that works, then tweaking at the edges to make that work better.