UnitedHealth Group - Great place to learn about the helath care industry. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"Great place to learn about the helath care industry."

Current Employee - Director
Current Employee - Director

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dynamic environment with a culture that promotes teamwork and learning. Management allows employees to work at home or office, with an expectation that everyone fulfills job responsiblities.

Cons

Several layoffs and reorganizations in reaction to acquisitions and the effects of health care reform under the affordable care act. Bonus payments are inconsistent.

Advice to Management

Continue to engrain culture in the organization.

Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"Good work opportunities; but dreadful insurance choices, and good luck getting a raise."

Current Employee - Senior IT Systems Analyst in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Senior IT Systems Analyst in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As such a large corporation, there are a lot of different areas in which to work. I believe that the greatest factor in your experience will be your manager. Some are terrific, and very supportive of your career (even if it means a loss to their own team). Some are, shall we say, not so great to work with.

But loyalty is rewarded, and you may find yourself following your manager as he or she takes on new responsibilities. If you're more focused on the success of the team than you are on making yourself look good, you'll likely be an outstanding employee and very happy with being there.

There are also a lot of truly brilliant people working for this company. As there are often projects that are broad in scope and not necessarily well-defined, there are many opportunities to shine, especially if you're willing to learn new skill sets.

Work-life balance is encouraged; though again, your manager will be the one who most strongly influences your ability to be successful in this. In many positions, the company offers telecommuting options, which can be very positive as long as you have the personality for it (i.e., can work without supervision and won't be distracted by things at home). As the MN weather can be challenging in Winter, even the non-telecommuting jobs will generally allow employees to work from home when needed.

The paid time off policy is quite generous in comparison with other places where I have worked; depending on your position and length of time with the company, you can get up to 26 days off per year. This includes sick time; but as indicated above, if your job allows you to telecommute, sick time isn't nearly as much of an issue as it would be at most other companies.

Cons

First: Salary. Have an interview with a manager? Does that manager discuss a salary with you? Do you agree on a reasonable amount? Well, guess what - it doesn't mean a thing. The HR department (known as "Human Capital") has a de facto stranglehold on the amount of your initial salary. Then, as you progress with the company, there are also rules limiting the amount of increases which you can receive at annual reviews (it's based on a percentage of salary). If you change from one position to another at the same grade level, the likelihood is that you will have no increase in pay, even if the new position has a much higher responsibility level. In other words, the people who make the final decision about your pay don't know you - they only know what's on paper. And neither you, nor your manager, nor their manager will ever be able to change anything about that. And it's a *great* shame, because I believe that the compensation overall is fair against the marketplace; but their complete inflexibility means that you will likely be dissatisfied with the experience no matter what you are paid.

Second: Insurance. I have *never* worked for a company with an insurance division (UHC) that offers such poor medical insurance choices to employees. As I speak to friends who work for other companies in the same geographic area, they are shocked to discover the terrible plan design of our health insurance. Not only that, but they only offer three plans; and all three plans are EXACTLY the same, with the exception of the deductible amount and the cost of insurance. I have the best plan available, and I have a $1700 annual deductible for in-network... and *everything* goes toward that deductible, including prescriptions. You can get an HSA, but make sure you have a boatload of cash if you need treatment early in the calendar year. Every year, UHG takes a survey of what is good and bad; and every year, employees complain about the insurance; and every year, corporate says that we should save the amount we aren't paying in insurance premiums so that we can pay our medical bills. They're missing the point; employees are looking for options. We're not idiots, we know that high insurance plans have lower premiums than traditional insurance. We just want to have at least SOME of the same choices that other employers offer.

For me, these two factors (which could be easily addressed) weigh so heavily against the positives that I do not recommend that people seek employment with the company. Why? Because these are over the direct control of the upper-upper management. All of your positive experiences will be at the local level; but where the corporation has the opportunity to prove itself as caring about its employees, it fails. That said, I work here, and I will continue to do so; but I do my very best to disregard our annual survey. Repeating the same requests over and over again with no results leads to nothing but frustration. If you're going to ask your employees what can be improved, you must maintain an open mind and allow for the possibilities that their concerns are valid. If not, don't bother sending out the surveys.

Advice to Management

I would recommend that there be clearer communication between management and Human Capital. It doesn't make any sense that a department which has a specified hiring budget should not be permitted to spend it as it chooses; yet HC appears to rule by executive fiat. It is discouraging to employees to feel limited by an impersonal organization that they will never see; and it is undoubtedly frustrating for managers who want to reward their employees but are unable to do so.

The insurance situation MUST be addressed. The removal of the HRA option in the past year was the icing on the cake. I cannot imagine why a company with its own insurance division cannot provide more three identical medical insurance choices. The only people who work at UHG that I have met who are happy with their insurance are those who are covered under their spouses. Employees of UHG should be in the vanguard of new insurance plans, not eating the scraps that fall from UHC's table.

"Disorganized, High Turnover, No Appreciation"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As long as you are not a crazy person and you have basic brain functions you can get this position. The job itself is very easy- so long as your system works. And most of the time it does not work. They do provide more PTO than other companies however you need it to take a mental break from all of the craziness.

Cons

Dealing with people screaming at you all day long. Mandatory overtime (with little advance notice) that will result in a hit against your record that could ultimately end in probation/termination. Huge amount of turnover in management and agents. Lots of attitude between the different branches and departments. The overall company attitude is: "This is how it is for the moment but it will probably change tomorrow and if you don't just go with it you will be docked." I would not wish this position/company on my worst enemy.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the good employees that you have and try to retain them.