UnitedHealth Group - Transition Case Manager | Glassdoor

"Transition Case Manager"

Pros

Great benefits, great people to work with, opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Too strict and rigid. Did not consider associate's perspective when making decisions regarding work process flow.

Advice to Management

Show more appreciation towards your associates.

UnitedHealth Group Response

Sep 15, 2014 – Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review and sharing your opinion of what it's like to work at UnitedHealth Group. We value and appreciate your feedback.

Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"Stagnant, hostile towards employees"

Former Employee - IT Director in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - IT Director in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

United Health Group is a very profitable, financially secure company. Their model largely focused on delivering health insurance and some health provider services at a bare minimum cost. The company provides a lot of structure as long as you're trying to fit into a well established role or process. They're the Walmart of healthcare.

Cons

I've worked for 3 fortune-100 companies. I have never encountered a company so thoroughly mistrustful of its employees or allergic to spending money. A few anecdotes:

I had an expense reports with $13 lunches rejected because the receipt was slightly faded and the total was partially illegible (the line items were readable). This was the norm, expenses took me an average of 4 re-submissions (6-8 weeks) to get paid. By the time I left, I was out-of-pocket roughly $2500 for expenses they simply would not pay due to some contrived technicality.

My role required me to use a piece of software that, while well known in the field, was not on the corporate approved software list. I received regular nasty-grams from UHG-IT that I was out of compliance with company policy and could be terminated as a result. Every member of our ~40-person team received these emails for years despite repeated requests for an exemption.

Developers on our team routinely upgraded their own laptops and monitors out of pocket, just to get a machine with usable specifications. This was done quietly and with fear of the above UHG-IT police.

11 days after my daughter was born, I received a call from HR informing me that I was on an unauthorized leave and could be terminated. I had filled out all of the paperwork for FMLA leave (federally mandated unpaid leave to care for a newborn or sick family member) but I was told that I had provided insufficient evidence that my daughter, born to my wife, was in fact *my* daughter. I spent 2 solid days trying to chase down a form of proof they would accept instead of supporting my wife and bonding with my daughter.

Advice to Management

Spin off Optum, specifically OptumInsight. UHC is incredibly risk-averse by nature, perhaps rightfully so given its business and market position. Software businesses need to tolerate some level of experimentation and risk or they quickly shed their talent and stagnate.

"Interesting work, poor work culture"

Current Employee - Domino Administrator in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Domino Administrator in San Jose, CA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Remote positions
    -Interesting time to be in Electronic Medical Records

Cons

-Horrible Corprate Culture where advancement is based on who you know not what you contribute.
    -Car Salesmanish, poorly informed management that doesn't listen to staff.
    -Outsourcing as much as possible to Manilla.

Advice to Management

Hire management who actually knows what they are talking about instead of throwing around buzzwords. If you advanced employees who have actually worked at UHG and know firsthand where improvements can be made, it's called well-informed decision making, trust me it;s the way to go.