UnitedHealth Group - Great job if you enjoy helping others, not so much if you expect others you work with to be professional. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"Great job if you enjoy helping others, not so much if you expect others you work with to be professional."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Roanoke, VA
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Roanoke, VA

Pros

You get to help those on Disability and/or Senior Citizens with their Prescription Drug Plans. It's very rewarding to speak to a member who needs help and to be able to provide them the assitance they need so they are happy and comfortable.

Cons

Hardly anyone that works there has pride in themselves, or the job they do. Extensive training for this job, but you still don't learn everything and they expect you to know everything once you get out on the call floor. If you mess up just a little bit you can lose your job, if you get sick - you could lose your job. I do not feel comfortable going to work each day that I will leave still having a job.

Advice to Management

I've repeatedly seen blatent disregards for rules and activities that we were told initially were immediately fireable offenses - where if you are the right person it is overlooked. Need to treat your employees better - not as if we are disposable! Use us during the busy times then toss us aside when you are done with us.

Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"A GRIND!"

Former Employee - Recovery Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Recovery Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN

Pros

Nice Location in Eden Prairie, MN
    Good Food at the Cafetaria

Cons

Metrics
    Quality suffers due to Quantity/Volume - people who cheat the system though can "fly by" the radar
    Leadership - ALL female middle management whose expectations and assistance varies
    Extra work - "Required" overtime
    Lack of Advancement, Pay, Bonus, Rewards...
    Poor (deficient) Benefits for a Healthcare Company!
    High Turnover - always short team members, so more work for others

Advice to Management

New Middle Management - revised goals based on reality, not construed numbers and take into account the unpaid OT salaried ee's 'have' to work - operate at full staff - turnover is extremely high for such a profitable part of the business...

"Expect to work overtime without compensation"

Former Employee - Analyst in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Analyst in Golden Valley, MN

Pros

UnitedHealth Group has great benefit package, beginning wages are fair, offer broadbanding pay scales, flexible scheduling and they have improved their work-life balances.

Cons

Despite frustrations and advice from management, senior management determines production levels that are constantly increasing and do not embrace the entire workload. Nonproductive work has to be be completed and for each hour spent on nonproductive work, employees are expected to makeup these hours with what manages considers productive work. For example, when claims adjusting department was in a severe backlog, our team was pulled to help. Each hour we were helping had to be made up by the end of the week. This type of work arrangement happened frequently. Also, there is no such thing as time off. When on vacation or leave, expect numerous hours to work numerous hours (at least they pay you for these hours!) During five years of employment, senior management implemented several unsuccessful structure changes and transferred out of the company to another within UHG. This happened four times within the five years.

Advice to Management

There is a strong disconnect between senior management and lower management. Senior management has open door policies requesting feedback and information but does very little with the information. Senior management needs to remember that a success of a company occurs not just at the top and successful communication is a two-way street.