UnitedHealth Group - Getting better, but still a ways to go! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"Getting better, but still a ways to go!"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Minnetonka, MN
Current Employee - Finance Manager in Minnetonka, MN

Pros

UHG offers a good PTO program in that most jobs start with 23 days a year. The downside is that if you leave the company you don't get paid out for your PTO time accrued, however if you have used more than accrued you pay the company. Seems a little one-sided to me. The other thing I like about UHG is that there are always plenty of advancement opportunities within the company. They are sometimes hard to get because you are competing with other internal and external candidates.

Cons

Work/Life balance has not always been a priority, but it is getting better. Our medical benefits are less than desirable. Charge me a little more for good coverage and I'll gladly pay it. Wearing a "choke collar" all day is a thing of the past for people that sit in a cubicle all day.

Advice to Management

Create an environment that encourges employee involvement and allow employees to make a mistake once in a while. It will yield engaged employees that take pride and ownership in what they do.

Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"UBH as a managed care organization is a broken system."

Current Employee - Care Advocate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Care Advocate in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Decent pay and decent benefits. It is better than being unemployed.

Cons

Licensed mental health professionals employed by UBH are treated like line workers. We are micromanaged and treated punitively. There are no bonuses and no reward programs for good performance. Benefits are at the 50th percentile though we are expected to perform at the 99th percentile. We don't even get a cost-of-living raise!

Advice to Management

Sit in with the care advocates and find out what we really do. Many of the care advocates, who are all licensed clinicians, are not allowed to use our clinical judgment, but are expected to consult with management every time we authorize mental health services, often delaying providers and facilities for anywhere from 30 minutes to a day or so. Many of these services clearly meet clinical guidelines for authorization and yet we, as licensed clinicians are still expected to consult with management and get permission before we authorize. These unecessary delays aggravate our providers, facilities and members.

"Potential, but internal competitive climate hurts progress and customer services"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Hartford, CT

Pros

Strong Franchise, a lot of potential to be a market leader. Good product breadth that should be able to weather whomever is elected this fall. Good presence in senior markets for example.

Cons

SIloed P&L structure will not be overcome by platitudes from senior management. Each product line and individual systems area is still incented to do their own thing. Also suffering from capital constraints - - the animal is so big, it needs lots of money just for maintenance of disparate unconnected systems, let alone innovations

Advice to Management

Force-merge the pieces and focus.