Universal Orlando Resort - Employee support ends at the entrance. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Universal Orlando Resort

"Employee support ends at the entrance."

Former Employee - Attraction Attendant in Orlando, FL
Former Employee - Attraction Attendant in Orlando, FL

I worked at Universal Orlando Resort part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free passes to parks, and some passed for friends (although they are now electronic and hard to give to friends).

The joy of entertaining people.

Reasonable priced food in the company cafeterias.

Most of the fellow "team members" are good people.

Cons

Lack of support when you falter. I had problems dealing with guests. I was promised over 2 years that they would provide support, advice and classes in getting along with problem guests. They lied to me. I received no support and no advice from venue management, except "try to do better." Really? How? What is your secret? Do you expect people to do this stuff naturally, or through telepathy?

Lack of concern for team members from management and team leaders. People just one step above could have offered support and suggestions: they didn't.

Crappy schedules. Began as a "casual" which was very limited work hours. Had to beg and plead to become a "part time," where we were supposed to get 20 hours a week - but usually didn't. Had to go around to venues to beg and plead for additional shifts, in my spare time.

Low pay, of course - and promises of better pay for performance were just smoke and mirrors.

During my time there I saw several "perks" systems for team members. They got discarded and re-started. A person who did extra work, like taking out venue trash for the team leaders or doing extra projects. might get a perk - but not often. I worked on a project documenting the physical plant and problems in my venue, and when my work was shown to the supervisor, he discarded it, saying it would have to be done on company time (like when? During the day while working?) I did this in my spare time because I liked my venue, and Universal threw it in my face.

Perhaps the worst: I knew someone in middle management, who died at the time I reached my one-year mark. I went to her departments and asked if anyone would put a remembrance of her, specifically in the Macy's Parade for which she volunteered. Not even a notice on the bulletin board. That was my first clue that management saw the team members as infinitely replaceable "work units" who could all die, for all they cared.

Advice to Management

Do you guys care about your employees? Do you want them to be long-term, reliable and enthusiastic? Do you want them to treat your guests well? Then train them! Show them how to give guest service, especially with angry guests. And don't change your mind when team members follow those guidelines and you change them on the spot. When team members have problems with the most angry guests, as I did, give them additional training sessions, don't hang them out to dry. When someone gives their heart and soul to the company, don't stomp on it.

Other Employee Reviews for Universal Orlando Resort

1. "They try hard, but they'll always be second best in the orlando market."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Universal Orlando Resort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

there are some good folks that work there, at multiple levels.

Cons

ivory tower thinking is pretty marked. also a fair share of cya politics.

Advice to Management

learn and then play to the strengths of your teams.

2. "Growing company with lots potential but also growing pains."

Current Employee - Vacation Planner in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Vacation Planner in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Universal Orlando Resort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The parks are doing very well and growing rapidly so the are desperate for good people it is easy to move up the ranks quickly and opportunity to have an impact. Great perks though and the company does have a lot of great recognition programs and fun events.

Cons

Since there is such rapid growth people are moving up too quickly in some cases who are under qualified or quickly become power hungry and lose sight of the bigger picture. There also is not a lot of accountability or regulation outside of the hourly roles which can also create power struggles and abuse of the hourly folks who have very little rights.