Universal Orlando Resort - Great Opportunities | Glassdoor

"Great Opportunities"

Current Employee - Bartender in Orlando, FL
Current Employee - Bartender in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Universal Orlando Resort part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to grow within the company
Lunch is provided and it is actually pretty good
Really easy to make good friends

Cons

Your always busy so be ready to work but it makes the day go by fast
Not much else bad to say about the place

Other Employee Reviews for Universal Orlando Resort

1. "I miss this place!"

Current Employee - Merchandise Associate in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Merchandise Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Universal Orlando Resort part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at the Wizarding World was my very first job right after I graduated high school, and it was one of the best job experiences I've ever had. I loved my work location, I loved the majority of my co-workers (none of us work there anymore but we're all still very close and see each other often), I loved the majority of my team leads and managers, etc. I was there for a year and a half, and I remember genuinely being excited to come to work and seeing my friends.

THE GOOD:

- Free park entry whenever you want (including special events like Halloween Horror Nights, unlike Disney where even their employees have to actually purchase tickets to attend their special events).
    - Advanced screenings for films.
    - Employee parties (If I remember correctly, they cleared out the Wizarding World section for the attraction attendants and they had the whole place to themselves while their managers operated the rides - very cool).
    - Free turkeys and Publix giftcards during Thanksgiving.
    - They have INSANE lost & found sales every year for employees. I had a co-worker who bought a very nice Canon SLR for $120.
    - Coupon books during the holidays which consist of ridiculous discounts and freebies that you can get throughout the parks.
    - Flexible scheduling. Very easy to trade shifts or request days off.
    - Amazing team to work with, you'll find yourself spending your free time and days off with a lot of these people, mark my words!
    - Personally, I loved my uniform/costume. It was definitely one of the more comfortable costumes in the whole park.
    - Great food options for lunch. Still some of the best employee food I've had (and I've worked at "fancier" places since then).

Cons

The only thing that I did not like about my time at Universal was a "forced switch" that they made all of the merchandise locations participate in. Management thought everyone was too "cliquey" and wanted a few people from each store to move into different stores to "alleviate this issue". I'll never understand what that meant - everyone in their own store saw their co-workers as family/team and we all got along extremely well - why ruin that camaraderie and rapport that we've built? Funny enough, that switch was the catalyst for a LOT of drama within every single store and it created a lot of animosity and resentment for the managers. Some new co-workers meshed well with their new stores and some did not at all - which created even more drama and made my last few months completely insufferable. Ultimately, this is why I decided to leave Universal.

THE BAD:

- The pay is horrible. I was making $7.25 when I started and $8.35 by the time I left. Luckily, I was a 17/18 year old still living with my mom and I had no real bills to pay. You can't live off of this place (get a second job). I don't even think team leads make that much either, but they definitely should because they deal with so much stress and BS from guests and management.
    - Power hungry co-workers who kissed ass and snitched on everyone in hopes of being promoted to a team lead position and would actually get promoted even though their work ethics were awful and people who were actually qualified for the team lead positions were consistently looked over.

Advice to Management

Please pay attention to what is actually going on within your stores! Stop trying to "fix" things that aren't broken!

2. "I love the theme park, many departments are great, but food service is not."

Former Employee - Food & Beverage Team Captain in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Food & Beverage Team Captain in Orlando, FL

I worked at Universal Orlando Resort full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free access to park, free tix for others based on time with company, discounts and other departmental perks, pay not too bad, promotions available and many opportunities for transferring to new positions, work with great people and interacting with guests from all over the world is pretty cool! But the best is simply the atmosphere of working in one of the greatest theme parks ever!

Cons

I worked in food service for 5 and half years. Food service anywhere is tough: no breaks or very short ones, mean customers, rude customers, sales oriented and motivated management.
    The theme park food service world is a little better from outside, regular world at least in that customers (guests) are usually nicer and not as rude. Given that they are in a theme park and pretty happy to be on vacation, but it does get hot and the prices are high and sometimes they have to wait awhile due to long lines, so sometimes people are cranky. But the worst is management that is so profit driven that they do not allow us to have enough employees working to get our job done nor do they allow breaks like they should. Example: turnstile and attractions department get 2 15minute breaks and a 30 min lunch for working an 8hour shift. Food service MIGHT get a 30 minute lunch. That was ridiculous!

Advice to Management

treat food service like other departments, everyone deserves breaks. make sure managers are people managers with good communication skills.