Universal Service Administrative Company - Not a good option for a motivated person | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Universal Service Administrative Company

"Not a good option for a motivated person"

Pros

-Great benefits package (health insurance, metro help, etc.)
-11% fully vested non-match employer 401k contribution (unheard of in other jobs)
-Flexible schedules (telecommute, etc.)
-At least in my department, there aren't many demands on your time.

Note: I think this job might be perfect for someone 40+ who really just wants a steady paycheck and would be fine staying stagnant until they retire. If you're hoping to move up/ learn useful new skills, etc. I don't really think this is the job for you.

Cons

-Workflow contains lots of unnecessary barriers and inefficiencies. There is very low desire to fix inefficiencies.
-High level of "office politics" - be wary of who you talk to, who you talk about, keeping a smile on your face
-Base pay lacking/ issues with increases due to government approval process
-Reminds me almost daily of the movie "Office Space"
-Very little upward mobility available in most departments
-It's hard to identify with whom we are serving (FCC, telecomm, or subscribers?) and it takes the hustle out of people's attitudes

Advice to Management

Honestly, given that the jobs seem to really only require someone 40+ that doesn't want new skill sets, I think hiring practices should adjust. Trapping younger people with the exciting marketing pitch is a bit cruel.

Other Employee Reviews for Universal Service Administrative Company

"Lots of great changes!"

I have been working at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance with a lot of very friendly and motivated staff. The CEO/CIO has done a tremendous amount of work to ensure employee satisfaction while getting a lot of challanging work completed. It is a place I like to come to every day.

Cons

Working with the government can be a challange, but it is DC so it is expected. Salaries would be higher if the company was actually private.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. We love the changes you have been making.

2. "Great 9-5 Office in Downtown DC"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

USAC offers attractive benefits and a stimulating work environment including co-workers with diverse backgrounds. In addition to the benefits package and great people, our Washington, DC, office is in the heart of our nation's capital, with many attractions and historic sites.

USAC's robust offering of benefits include:

401(k) Plan
    Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
    Sick Leave
    Training Reimbursement Program
    Vision Insurance

Cons

As a federally regulated organization, USAC does not participate in politics or lobbying, which may be a downfall for some living in Washington, DC.

Advice to Management

Don't fear rapid change, this holds back creativity and curtails useful advances in processes and procedures.