University of Alabama at Birmingham - I loved working at UAB! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of Alabama at Birmingham

"I loved working at UAB!"

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Birmingham, AL
Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Birmingham, AL

I worked at University of Alabama at Birmingham full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great, passionate people. Outside the work day, we were expected to attend athletic and arts events. It was kind of nice to have a company who encouraged work, play, and culture! I also enjoyed the fact that workloads were more evenly distributed here. In eight years, I only worked two or three 60 hour weeks. Gosh I miss that!

Cons

The politics any state-funded institution can be difficult to navigate. This stunk every other year as we only received cost of living increases every other year (election years). And there are (or were) some weird HR policies about not being able to promote me given the pay increase was too high. So I was given a raise and told to ask for the promotion again next year. While my boss appreciated me and my contributions over either years enough to go to bat for me, HR couldn't care less. And they write the rules I guess.

Advice to Management

I felt all my supervisors were knowledgeable and capable. But few people leave, giving few opportunities for advancement. And when one comes, HR denies the promotion given wage increases. And when I left, they had to hire someone at that higher level in order to get someone who could perform at my level.

Hey Glassdoor folks! The last year with employer was 2005. But your drop-dopwn won't let me select anything prior to 2009!

Other Employee Reviews for University of Alabama at Birmingham

1. "Great Experience"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at University of Alabama at Birmingham full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work environment is awesome. People are very friendly. Though there is a huge pressure of work, I enjoy it.

Cons

Sometimes faced the red-tape (bureaucratic ) problem.

2. "Great company"

Former Employee - Office Associate in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Office Associate in Birmingham, AL

I worked at University of Alabama at Birmingham full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits. Great company to work for and retire from.

Cons

It's hard to move up. A lot of employees move around just to make more money. Raises are minimal if they are ever given.