University of British Columbia - Great Community, satisfying work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of British Columbia

"Great Community, satisfying work"

Current Employee - Career Educator in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
Current Employee - Career Educator in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at University of British Columbia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The students are fantastic, eager and motivated to help themselves (for the most part). Makes work satisfying knowing you are making a positive influence on tomorrow's future leaders.

Cons

Very slow to move strategically, as a staff member you feel second class to faculty.

Other Employee Reviews for University of British Columbia

"A Corporation not an Institution"

Former Employee - Enrolment Services in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Enrolment Services in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at University of British Columbia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the people that work there are the some of the best people I have ever met. I never felt like UBC deserved such hard workers with so much heart and integrity. UBC doesn't recognize and reward individuality. UBC rewards people for doing what they expect you to do and furthering their goals.
    Some people think the benefits are great at UBC but they are over-rated. They just make you so comfortable that you never want to leave. Also some benefits seem better than they are- like the free tuition. It is never really free and no one has time or energy to take class or can fit the classes they actually need or want to study into their schedule. Also you have to jump through the same hoops as regular applicants and that is a real deterent. In the end, very few employees take advantage of the free tuition credits.

Cons

I had the misfortune of going through a reorganization and was laid off. My department was replaced and expanded and many of my colleagues who had been with the department the longest and were the most knowledgeable were not offered new roles. Instead these roles were handed to the least experienced staff who had been there the least amount of time. This was really hard for me to experience because I value loyalty and hard work together very highly. I also saw how tremendous these overlooked colleagues were in helping students and couldn't fathom why this wasn't more valuable to management. I didn't fit in here because I am someone who is constantly pushing the envelope and thinking creatively which scares institutions like UBC that prefer the status quo and blind acceptance. I was a square peg trying to fit into a round hole. I don't regret working there I just regret staying for so long. I felt creatively empty and demoralized at the end of it. I desperately wanted to make a contribution but was never given the opportunity. If you like predictability and want to rise the top by doing what you are told and stroking egos then this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

This is how it went down as I saw it. One day you inform your subordinates that everything is going to change and it is going to change at a rapid pace. You provide very little information other than that but encourage everyone to support this change even though job security is not certain for everyone. First of all, that style of leadership is fear based and it is manipulative. I am not sure what school of leadership you are pulling your ideas from but if it is about making people respect you as little as possible then you succeeded.
    In the end the changes were minimally successful at that and only managed to create more chaos. When an opportunity to jump ship came along - you took it--which only further reinforces that you never really knew what you were doing. I am not sure how all of you managed to get to where you are with such little regard for people but your success will not be long lasting. I am not saying that in spite - just in truth. I am sorry that you felt that this was the only way you felt you could achieve results.

2. "Work with UBC, fine, but with PROOF Centre of Excellence, not good. Not good at all."

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at University of British Columbia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and a good reputation

Cons

If working directly with UBC, there is no many problems. I was hired through a hosted industry partner, called PROOF and it was a nightmare.