University of British Columbia - Commitment to work life balance and strong leadership, but varies by unit | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of British Columbia

"Commitment to work life balance and strong leadership, but varies by unit"

Current Employee - Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
Current Employee - Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at University of British Columbia full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Beautiful location, strong leadership, great amenities (recreational, cultural, pro-D), benefits, vacation, range of career options available, option to live on campus = no commute.

Cons

An inherently innovative organization struggling to get past the bureacracy, hierarchical structure and crippling long and overly consultative decision making processes. Unfortunately the workplace satisfaction is dependent on the individual unit and supervisor (not unlike large organizations).

Advice to Management

Continue to bring in strong hires, but give them the freedom to try new things and support their decision making. Ensure your mid-level management understand the need to build capacity in the workforce, crediting good work and building a team - it varies so widely by department. Every manager should be required to go through management training.

Other Employee Reviews for University of British Columbia

"Very difficult working environment unless you have a skillset that can't easily be replaced. Some ethical concerns."

Former Employee - Advancement Services Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Advancement Services Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at University of British Columbia full-time

Pros

Interesting work.
    Some positions are paid well. Can ask for mid-point salary if you are expected to hit the ground running.
    Some positions receive a lot of recognition.
    Some positions have great work/life balance.
    The annual vacation allotment is generous. Can negotiate for more vacation time when hired.

Cons

Low morale.
    Very few career opportunities, if any, though they say there are to keep you motivated.
    Every aspect of your performance is analyzed.
    Bi-annual performance reviews.
    Passive aggressiveness.
    The contents of your email account are not private.

Advice to Management

Unethical focus on results over people and privacy.
    Way too much time spent analyzing people under the guise of career coaching.
    No good can come from openly criticizing unions and people.

2. "Great experience, but not the same for everyone"

Former Employee - Work Study Student in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Work Study Student in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at University of British Columbia part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My supervisor cultivated a positive work environment that was very student-oriented. I worked at the same place for 3 years and I feel like I learned more than I did in my 4 years of undergrad. I did a range of tasks from data entry and recruiting participants to writing reports and presenting powerpoints.

Cons

There is little support outside of your supervisor and immediate work area. I have heard some awful things about supervisors abusing their position as a superior, getting students to work more hours than they are paid and never even getting a chance to communicate with their supervisor.

Advice to Management

NEED MORE REGULATION/COMMUNICATION with faculty members. Students should be able to submit evaluations of their supervisors to administrators who have the authority to evaluate and discipline abusive supervisors.