University of California Berkeley - Most enriching and life changing experience!!! | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for University of California Berkeley

"Most enriching and life changing experience!!!"

Former Intern - Graduate Student Researcher in Berkeley, CA
Former Intern - Graduate Student Researcher in Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California Berkeley as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Hard working, intelligent, innovative, cultural diversity and proper mix of work and fun. It gives a perfect platform to the professionals to excel in their respective field of work.

Cons

I guess only downside is the cost of living in California. Berkeley is too expensive and normal people would find it little difficult to bear the expenses. People do have diversions because of the varied cultures present.

Other Employee Reviews for University of California Berkeley

1. "Chill job, but you don't do or learn much as a student employee"

Current Employee - IS&T DOCS Technician in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - IS&T DOCS Technician in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California Berkeley part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work environment is very chill. No harsh deadlines and supervisors are always very accommodating toward students' schedules. Hours are also very flexible.

Cons

As a student employee, I expected to learn a lot about IT, work with customers, gradually gain experience and greater responsibilities. Instead, I've been doing the same mundane tasks for the last 9 months, and frankly, I do barely anything and still get paid.

2. "Lively community and interesting coworkers. Great opportunities to explore what research is like."

Former Employee - Student Assistant III in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Student Assistant III in Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California Berkeley part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The chance to collaborate with researchers in a variety of disciplines and departments. During my time as a student, I did research in 3 departments and had a positive experience in each position. If you don't have previous experience, you can start as an unpaid volunteer and transition to a paid position with time.

Cons

As an undergraduate student, jobs are more difficult to get if you don't have work-study. Many campus positions are for work-study only - these tend to be administrative type jobs and are paid fairly well for a student salary. When I first looked for a job, I checked Callisto (which fortunately does have some non work-study positions.)