University of California Berkeley - Chill job, but you don't do or learn much as a student employee | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of California Berkeley

"Chill job, but you don't do or learn much as a student employee"

Current Employee - IS&T DOCS Technician in Berkeley, CA
Current Employee - IS&T DOCS Technician in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California Berkeley part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work environment is very chill. No harsh deadlines and supervisors are always very accommodating toward students' schedules. Hours are also very flexible.

Cons

As a student employee, I expected to learn a lot about IT, work with customers, gradually gain experience and greater responsibilities. Instead, I've been doing the same mundane tasks for the last 9 months, and frankly, I do barely anything and still get paid.

Other Employee Reviews for University of California Berkeley

1. "Lively community and interesting coworkers. Great opportunities to explore what research is like."

Former Employee - Student Assistant III in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Student Assistant III in Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California Berkeley part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The chance to collaborate with researchers in a variety of disciplines and departments. During my time as a student, I did research in 3 departments and had a positive experience in each position. If you don't have previous experience, you can start as an unpaid volunteer and transition to a paid position with time.

Cons

As an undergraduate student, jobs are more difficult to get if you don't have work-study. Many campus positions are for work-study only - these tend to be administrative type jobs and are paid fairly well for a student salary. When I first looked for a job, I checked Callisto (which fortunately does have some non work-study positions.)

2. "Community Service Officer: UCPD"

Current Employee - Community Service Officer in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Community Service Officer in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California Berkeley part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours with plenty of overtime opportunities. Very good opportunity to individuals interested in having a career in law enforcement. Room for advancement within program. Overall a great student job.

Cons

Some of the work shifts may interfere with keeping a set sleep schedule.