University of California Berkeley - I am a postdoc in biological sciences at Berkeley | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of California Berkeley

"I am a postdoc in biological sciences at Berkeley"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral in Berkeley, CA
Current Employee - Postdoctoral in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California Berkeley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

With the new union, the salary is commensurate with NIH levels. There is a decent amount of support filling out health care options and learning about other benefits through HR and the VSPA. They have just started a number of programs designed to help with academic job searches and applying for grants.

Cons

The graduate union at Berkeley prohibits postdocs from teaching or TAing. If you want additional teaching experience, you need to go outside the UC System (eg community college or SF state). There is little to no support for jobs outside of academia. There is little or no support if you are having conflicts within your lab or within the department (though think this is pretty standard for universities). The career center is much more focused on the undergrads than on post grad job searches.

Other Employee Reviews for University of California Berkeley

"My experience has been a good one, but I do not like that there is a lot of office politics and little room to move up."

Current Contractor - Computer Resource Specialist I in Berkeley, CA
    Current Contractor - Computer Resource Specialist I in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California Berkeley as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, non-micro management, nice co-workers etc...

Cons

Many supervisor changes, lack of communication, office politics and rumors etc...

Advice to Management

It would be great to give feedback to our employees from time to time. There should be a form of quantifying the work that people put in, because the current one is biased and promotes favoritism.

2. "Most enriching and life changing experience!!!"

Former Intern - Graduate Student Researcher in Berkeley, CA
    Former Intern - Graduate Student Researcher in Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California Berkeley as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Hard working, intelligent, innovative, cultural diversity and proper mix of work and fun. It gives a perfect platform to the professionals to excel in their respective field of work.

Cons

I guess only downside is the cost of living in California. Berkeley is too expensive and normal people would find it little difficult to bear the expenses. People do have diversions because of the varied cultures present.