University of California Berkeley - great experience | Glassdoor

"great experience"

Former Employee - Fundraiser in Berkeley, CA
Former Employee - Fundraiser in Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California Berkeley part-time (More than a year)

Pros

learned how to deal with all sorts of people on the phone
negotiation skills-- convincing alumni to donate
fun work environment with games and music

Cons

hard to get promoted to the next level
had to deal with angry people on the phone
difficult to get donations

Advice to Management

don't expect us to get a consistent amount of donations. there are some days when we just can't get anything, and it's not because of how we talk on the phone

Other Employee Reviews for University of California Berkeley

1. "Life changing experience - if awarded, you shouldn't say no!"

Current Employee - Miller Postdoctoral Fellow in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Miller Postdoctoral Fellow in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California Berkeley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing scientific training with an emphasis on communication with a broad scientific audience. The annual symposium is like nothing you've ever seen with 8 top scientists presenting recent results across all fields of science.

Cons

You have to be in Berkeley and summer comes in October.

2. "Being a GSI (Grad Student Instructor) = zero loans!"

Former Contractor - Graduate Student Instructor (GSI) in Berkeley, CA
    Former Contractor - Graduate Student Instructor (GSI) in Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California Berkeley as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

1) I like teaching, and this was interesting and challenging work.

2) My financial aid package from UCB included 2 years as a GSI - which reduced my tuition considerably. Together with a $9,000 scholarship, I was able to complete my MA degree without taking out any loans.

Cons

1) Study-work balance is tough, particularly if it's your first time teaching. I often felt like I was putting more work into my teaching than into my grad studies.

2) Outside of the sciences and MBA school, grad students are largely left to themselves to find GSI work. I was given a GSI position my first semester for the Intro class in my department (Latin American Studies), however I needed to find one myself for all the other semesters. And since my department was very small, I ended up as a GSI for other departments. (That wasn't bad, actually; I enjoyed working for the others ... it was just stressful to renew my GSI applications and search for positions at the beginning of every semester.)

3) The fin aid packages are highly individualized, and many are geared towards STEM majors. I was there from 2007 - 2009. Public universities across the country - including the UC system - are increasing tuition, reducing scholarships, and generally making it harder for people to afford higher education. Although I was lucky, most of my grad school cohort (fellow students) were stuck with huge bills.

Advice to Management

Advise grad students with how to manage their teaching load alongside their studies, and assist them with finding GSI-ships.

Most importantly: MAKE TUITION AFFORDABLE. Offer more scholarships and pathways for people to afford higher education.