University of California Berkeley - Great funding to do research (bad compensation), competitive environment, project with lack of practical application. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of California Berkeley

"Great funding to do research (bad compensation), competitive environment, project with lack of practical application."

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Scholar in Berkeley, CA
Former Employee - Postdoctoral Scholar in Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California Berkeley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, a great learning experience surrounded with very knowledgeable and competitive people.

Cons

Absence of work-life balance, compensation for a postdoctoral appointment and living in the Bay Area is too low. I had a baby during my stay at Berkeley and the evaluation of my performance was unfair and non-ethical.

Advice to Management

Regulate the salaries and compensation for postdocs, take into consideration the cost of living in the area.

Other Employee Reviews for University of California Berkeley

1. "Berkeley Law School -- Just Wonderful!"

Current Employee - Clinical Program Assistant in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Program Assistant in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California Berkeley part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked with truly talented folks who are efficient at what they do and kind to people around them. I was lucky to have such an amazing group of people to work with at the Clinical Program. The events the law school holds and the awesome guest speakers who visit: fabulous! Another perk: Berkeley Law can never go wrong with their choice of catering.

Cons

None that I can think of. The Clinical Program staff is truly excellent.

Advice to Management

None

2. "satisfaction depends on department and boss"

Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Generalist in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Generalist in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California Berkeley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great mission, smart people, I work with a good team, have a wonderful boss, benefits are good.

Cons

Salary is low, decisions take forever, too much middle management. Little money put into employee used systems enhancements.

Advice to Management

Quit hiring people on contract for projects that need to be completed. Create a dedicated team that can be used over multiple projects. Listen to your staff. Don't hire c-level people with no higher ed experience.