University of California Berkeley - If you want to get ahead, don't stay in one position on campus more that 3 years | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of California Berkeley

"If you want to get ahead, don't stay in one position on campus more that 3 years"

Current Employee - Accounting in Berkeley, CA
Current Employee - Accounting in Berkeley, CA

Pros

Being part of a system that can help the Bay Area and in many cases the world a better place.

Cons

Low pay and years of no raises or cut backs.
Continuing to foster an Us vs. Them mentality between Faculty/Upper Management and staff.
System rife with favoratism within departments. Friends helping friends. Some carrying a huge workload and others barely have work to do.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like what staff does can be done better by trained chimps. What we do is not easy add dealing with HUGE egos of faculty without calling them on it daily takes a skill set. You get what you pay for, once the current crop of dinosaurs is gone..me included your in for a rude awakening.

Other Employee Reviews for University of California Berkeley

1. "English Tutor"

Former Employee - English Language Tutor in Mendocino, CA
    Former Employee - English Language Tutor in Mendocino, CA

Pros

I thought the pay was very fair for an undergrad student tutoring in English language, the people in the department I worked for were very nice. I was able to set my own hours and just tutor one or two students at a time, which was very helpful as I had a full course load.

Cons

It's a gigantic campus so you tend to get lost in the shuffle of things paperwork-wise; make sure you follow up on paperwork/questions so they don't get pushed aside or lost...

Advice to Management

The department I worked for is a very small one, so this doesn't really apply

2. "Good experience"

Current Employee - Student Assistant in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in Berkeley, CA

Pros

Interaction with faculty adn students are valuable

Cons

Your life will get busy .... probably no time to study and party

Advice to Management

Try it if you think it won't affect your school work, valuable experience on your resume!