University of Central Oklahoma - Overall Great | Glassdoor
  1. "Overall Great"

Former Employee - Student Worker

I worked at University of Central Oklahoma part-time for more than a year

Pros

UCO offers flexible scheduling, and great resources.

Cons

Not very competitive pay, and upper management made some strange choices that complicated things.

Advice to Management

Implement major changes during breaks in the school year

University of Central Oklahoma2019-06-17
  1. "Most Departments are Great!"

I worked at University of Central Oklahoma full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The paid workout time every week is a significant bonus. However, some offices do not support it or provide you the margin to actually go. The health benefits package is OK, the time off/holiday schedule is crazy good, and the culture is a fake-nice that can rub off on you if you are not careful.

Cons

Though most of the divisions on campus are great, there are some areas that I would never recommend: the Grants and Accounting Office, the Office of Advancement/Development, and Human Resources. You might have a good experience in the HR department if you are a straight white female, but no other ethnicity, sexual preference, or gender will be accepted. There is almost no chance of advancement, small... likelihood to move to another area in UCO, and this organization is VERY political, though this fact can take a while to fully see.

Advice to Management

After more than 3.5 years at this organization, I would not work here again. Mostly because I'm moving but also because I'm ashamed I was ever employed here. Many graduates obtain their degree from here and return as an employee. I'm so glad that wasn't my story because my experience as an employee would have tainted my outlook on my alma mater. I do not trust the new leader.

University of Central Oklahoma2019-08-19

University of Central Oklahoma Response

September 12, 2019Recruitment Specialist

The University of Central Oklahoma is committed to an inclusive educational and employment environment that provides equal opportunity and access to all qualified persons. We take situations like this very seriously and would like to learn more. Please call our employee relations ...

"Nice Culture, Low Pay"

Former Employee - Assistant

I worked at University of Central Oklahoma full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture of UCO is its strongest asset. They are proactive in adopting policies that benefit employees and students and always forward-thinking. UCO does its best to put their employees and students first which can be difficult to do given the state of education in Oklahoma.

Cons

The pay is very low, but probably on par with other state universities; comes with the territory when working in education. Depending on your role, realize you might be working with and/or directly reporting to professors. This might present hurdles you hadn't expected and can impact your performance. Some professors should not be managing people, yet, they are.

Advice to Management

Professors who have moved into supervisory or directive roles need more training on how to effectively manage and communicate.

University of Central Oklahoma2019-08-16

University of Central Oklahoma Response

September 11, 2019Recruitment Specialist

Thank you for providing your feedback! We agree, our culture is pretty great and we really appreciate all of our employees and students. We will relay your sentiments to upper management.

Discover more reviews about University of Central Oklahoma.