University of Chicago - Positive experience at the Department of Psychology Laboratory | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of Chicago

"Positive experience at the Department of Psychology Laboratory"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Research Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at University of Chicago full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Though the flexibility you are given completely depends on the size of the lab and the personality of the PI, generally I found the environment to be incredibly encouraging of personal development. The professors inspire respect from the research assistants. Everyone is held to a high standard for hard work, intelligence, and academic rigor. The social environment is congenial and family-like. We celebrated everyone's accomplishments, big or small. I was allowed to attend HR workshops to enhance my skills.

Cons

The general mood at UChicago is somber and highly scholarly. It is not a place that is encouraging of frivolous, non-academic pursuits. While it is a great place to work for anyone who wants research experience, or an insider view into professorial or doctoral student life, I don't think it would be a very relevant or "useful" place to work for those not interested in entering some serious academically oriented research. The hierarchy within the labs are also quite rigid, as years of experience, and educational level pre-determine your level of position within the laboratory. You would have to be seriously proactive and have great insights in order to be allowed to pursue your own project. The opportunity is open to do so, but you really would have to be quite persistent and be able to navigate funding issues.

Other Employee Reviews for University of Chicago

1. "decent grad school experience"

Current Employee - Graduate Student - BSD in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Graduate Student - BSD in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Chicago full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Courses are quite flexible, good academia atmosphere, great mentors available when choosing a lab to work in, decent studying environment (library, study room etc)

Cons

The neighborhood is kind of sketchy, and not a whole lot of entertainment.
    But the situation is improving, with the opening of new restaurants, fitness/shopping center, movie theater etc

2. "Teaching Assistance-ship"

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at University of Chicago part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working here has been an absolute joy and I could not have been happier with my choice to pursue this undertaking at an institution that prides itself on being a haven for life of the mind.

Cons

Despite what some may say, the self deprecating attitudes of the general undergraduate student population is not representative of the true culture that would thrive in this type of community. People are genuine, work hard, and strive to find meaning.