University of Cincinnati - Great place to work | Glassdoor

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Cincinnati, OH
Current Employee - Research Assistant in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at University of Cincinnati part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxing environment
Nice people
excellent work/life balance

Cons

Compensation can be improved
steady growth

Other Employee Reviews for University of Cincinnati

1. "Nice people, nice environment, but horrible administrators"

Former Employee - Network Administrator in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Network Administrator in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at University of Cincinnati part-time (More than a year)

Pros

UC is a beautiful campus, even though the administration is filling it up with new buildings! Lot of middle management people are very nice.

Cons

Administration has got their priorities mixed up. With their sole purpose of increased profit (or revenue), everything else that makes (& made) UC a great place is slowly (may be quickly) diminishing. Some of the dept. level administrators (i.e.Professors) are also arrogant &/or egotistical, which makes it harder to work with them. The top-level non-academic administrators are even worse. They are lazy & takes ages to get anything done (worse than state workers) and on top of that they delay everything with unnecessary red-tape. I could go on, but, that sums it up. Love the place, but, unless something change, UC is in the wrong path!

Advice to Management

Get your priorities right!

2. "If you want a low salary, no room for advancement, and poor communication this is the place for you."

Current Employee - Research Associate in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

The benefits for the University of Cincinnati are amazing. Medical, Dental, and Vision is just OK. The 401K is the best my dad has ever seen and he works in stock and finance. You put in 10% and the University matches and then puts in an additional 3.5%, it is truly fantastic.

Cons

Oh downsides where do I start:

I have been working for the University of Cincinnati for over 3 years now and I thought working at a big University where the research is fantastic and they have all of the 'best' staff and faculty, was a good thing...no I was wrong. Bigger is not better, you get lost in the ocean of people that work here. And in some positions you are just a number or another Research Associate. I work with a lady that has a Bachelors and Masters degree yet she has worked here for 10 years and she has never gotten a raise, her title has never been changed to associate her with long standing status at the University.

If you ever have worked in research you know that you are a slave to your PI, and this University is no different. You can work 5-7 years on a project and still have to beg your PI to get it published before your research gets 'scooped' and pray that in the next 6-8 months after your paper finally gets published that you have some shot in h*ll that a company or another University just may want you.

Some words of advice; if you are applying ask people outside of the department that you are applying for to get there true opinion of what they think about the University. If you never ask you never know what outsiders really think about your boss or soon to be boss. Please do your research before coming, because once you are in, it is really hard to get out.

Advice to Management

I really wish that management would actually spend some time down with the 'little people' before they make budgets or lay off people. Then they might see what they truly are effecting. Because here is no different, please that make decision calls almost 99% of the time they have no directly experience with what they are managing.