University of Idaho - Architecture teaching assistant | Glassdoor

"Architecture teaching assistant"

Current Employee - Architecture Teaching Assistant in Moscow, ID
Current Employee - Architecture Teaching Assistant in Moscow, ID

I have been working at University of Idaho part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is rewarding to help other students learn things that were also new to you only a few years ago. Plus on the personal side, it is good review for me. I also enjoy knowing I am helping the professors that have helped me so much in my education over the years.

Cons

With the automatic deposit it is hard to tell what the money is for from the university, ie: is it extra loan money, scholarship money, from another job at the university, etc

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid for past or current students to be hired to help teach some of the technology courses that current professors don't know but students need to learn

Other Employee Reviews for University of Idaho

1. "too bad postdocs aren't forever"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Moscow, ID
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Moscow, ID

I have been working at University of Idaho full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is great to work on intellectually stimulating research projects. I also enjoy a great deal of autonomy. I am assigned projects by my supervisor, but I get to set my own project timeline and daily schedule and I get to decide how I am going to approach a given project.

Cons

Job security for postdocs is generally poor and there are no guarantees that you can get a faculty job when you get done. Right now my supervisor and I must secure funding for me on a year by year basis if I am to keep my job so I am constantly submitting grant proposals and applying for other jobs in case our funding falls through. Also, on the basis of talking with postdocs at other universities, it seems that the pay for postdocs at the University of Idaho is lower than average, but the cost of living is fairly low in Moscow, ID.

2. "From here you can go . . . . here"

Current Employee - Center Coordinator in Moscow, ID
    Current Employee - Center Coordinator in Moscow, ID

I have been working at University of Idaho full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At The University of Idaho, you'll enjoy a good degree of job security. Once you're in the U of I system, it's very easy to stay working for the U of I. The culture is friendly to newcomers, and there is a rich history to the University that makes for an enjoyable work experience overall.

Cons

As with many universities, everything moves at a very slow pace. Don't expect that an idea or proposed change will be implemented at the same pace it would in a private sector corporation. Because the U of I is a state university, we are subject to the budget set by the Idaho State Board of Education - who reside in the southern half of the state while U of I is far north. It's often difficult for the State Board to understand our needs when they are so far away geographically.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. They know what they are talking about. Trust them to make the right decisions and mentor them when they make the wrong ones.