University of Iowa - It was great and relax working in university of iowa. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of Iowa

"It was great and relax working in university of iowa."

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Iowa City, IA
Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Diversity is good and people are friendly.

Cons

location is not as competitive as the east or west coast.

Other Employee Reviews for University of Iowa

1. "Great colleagues and great benefits!"

Former Employee - Academic Advisor in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Academic Advisor in Iowa City, IA

I worked at University of Iowa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone that I met at Iowa was friendly, welcoming and helpful. I felt cared for. People were always dropping by my office to see how I was doing and to provide suggestions for me. Also, they would have great office parties and food--it felt like a family. The students were also pleasant to work with, and I looked forward to my job every day. The most stress-free job I've had yet! Also, the benefits are amazing, and the schedule of an advisor is very flexible.

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth in this particular job. Yes, I might have been able to teach a college transition course here or there, and I got involved with the National Academic Advising Association to write reviews and help peer edit monographs, but there didn't seem to be many opportunities for growth in my department. It wasn't a job that I could see myself doing for more than four or five years.

2. "A good state institution that needs refocused on students"

Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Iowa City, IA

I worked at University of Iowa part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well organized administration, graduate cohorts are appropriately sized, workload for teaching assistants is appropriate. Compensation is good for graduate assistants. Departmental staff is professional and helpful. Education/work balance is maintained at an appropriate level.

Cons

Infantile faculty infighting, instructor focus on research rather than education, exorbitant and unnecessary fees for graduate students thanks to gullible undergraduate population. Institution fails to assist foreign students whose English proficiency is typically insufficient to deal with lecture-based coursework. Upper administration is hopelessly corrupt and intent on maintaining increasing revenues rather than student opportunities.

Advice to Management

Refocus recruitment to domestic students, rely more heavily on adjuncts who are instructors first and pay them accordingly. Stop riding the Federal loan gravy train and rethink their values.