University of Maryland - OK Pay, but go elsewhere for better QoL/job satisfaction | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of Maryland

"OK Pay, but go elsewhere for better QoL/job satisfaction"

Former Employee - Lecturer in College Park, MD
Former Employee - Lecturer in College Park, MD

I worked at University of Maryland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Generous compensation for a state school salary
- A few very nice and professional coworkers

Cons

- Class size too large/inflexible policies. I taught 2 undergrad classes that were 60 - 80 students each. I didn't think this would be a problem at all, until I learned the school requires certain things be included as part of the syllabus for certain classes. For example a term paper. If I have to grade 80 15-20 page papers, I wanted to have the assignment be due a week or two before the semester ended. I was told that since it was a final assignment, I couldn't change the due date- it had to be due the day/time during which a final would be otherwise given. Long story short: I had 1 week to grade 80 term papers, and was not allowed to forego other work during the week to do it.

- In my other class, I gave a final exam. These exams are scheduled to be 3hrs long. Several of my students came to me saying they had 2 3-hr exams prior. These poor kids would have been test-taking for 6 hours before they even got to my exam. When I filed a request to allow students to take it late/early, I was denied and told that there are too many instances of cheating when they do this.

-Another con: this job does not reimburse for local travel or expenses. Events I was required to attend out of state were not paid for, nor was comp time allowed. I was told "that's life, you can't nickel and dime everything". Now at my current job, I am encouraged to nickel and dime everything and be compensated fairly.

Advice to Management

Consider giving lecturers and department heads more autonomy. Having to pass something up 6 levels wastes time, money, and resources, and as a result things move at the pace of a terrapin.

Other Employee Reviews for University of Maryland

1. "good"

Current Employee - Housekeper in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Housekeper in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at University of Maryland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the benifits are very good

Cons

the benifits are expensive to get

2. "Researcher in theoretical particle physics"

Former Employee - Research Associate in College Park, MD
    Former Employee - Research Associate in College Park, MD

I worked at University of Maryland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great research group, with renowned professors creating successful collaborations.

Cons

The offices were too old at the time of my position, but a new building should be completed in 2013.