University of Massachusetts - good school and research environment | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of Massachusetts

"good school and research environment"

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Amherst, MA
Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Amherst, MA

Pros

good location, nice colleagues, nice campus, good benefit

Cons

hardly give pay raising, expensive housing,

Other Employee Reviews for University of Massachusetts

1. "team oriented. work individually at times. very upbeat"

Current Employee - Cashier in Amherst, MA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Amherst, MA

Pros

It is on campus which makes it very convenient for students to work there. It adds variety to your resume

Cons

Unfortunately there is no room for advancement. It is sometimes hard to get work off. It gets boring at times.

Advice to Management

You should give people raises after several semesters completed. It would keep the students motivated to work there and stay longer

2. "Don't like it but it's the best in the area"

Current Employee - I T in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - I T in Worcester, MA

Pros

Working for UMASS Medical School is very challenging but it has great benefits and an excellent work-life balance. It's why most people still work here. For me the pros are ten minutes away from where i live, more paid holidays that any other employer in the area, great compensation compared to the rest of the companies in the area, extremely flexible work life balance which includes working from home and a very generous benefits package and retirement plan.

Cons

Where to begin?

This company is completely politics driven and there is no accountability.
    There is no growth and career advancement.
    Folks in I.T. withhold information, are very difficult to work with, don’t communicate changes and they never plan ahead. There isn’t a clear process on how to proceed on a daily basis. Everyone works in reactive and not in proactive mode. Don’t fix it until its broken type of mentality.
    There’s absolutely no communication between I.T. departments, so if something changes many hours are wasted to figure out the problem that was caused by the non-communicated change.
    Yearly reviews with your manager are a joke and there is no feedback at all.
    There is no recognition and praise when you put in long hours and after you have fixed a major problem caused by a non-communicated change. Most people don't care or don't want to know what you did and why you stayed late. If you do this often and keep staying late it's then expected.
    Management and Senior Management are unqualified for the job. They still work here because it’s a State Agency and they know Key people.
    What’s also a slap to the face is how promotions and raises are given. It seems that only the incompetent and lazy are promoted.
    This place also lack basic professionalism standards that are required in the workplace.
    There is no respect between employees because the whole place is politic-driven.
    That’s the best I can do with the character limit imposed by Glassdoor.com. To fully review this company you’ll need to write a book.
    I wouldn’t recommend this company to anyone except those who have a family and look for a balanced work-life relationship.
    The only thing I have to look forward to everyday is when it’s time to go home, when it’s Friday or when I take my vacation.

Advice to Management

See Cons.