KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Add a Review

Employee Review

1. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Overall a great job, but the pay was the downside.

Oct 15, 2020 - Teaching Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great staff, interesting work, lots of great feedback!

Cons

Got paid less than $10 per hour as an experienced educator because the U does not need to pay the $15 minimum wage.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

On campus student job

Sep 29, 2022 - Peer Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible work hours, connections with departmental staffs

Cons

Need more than one year of commitment

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

I love everything about my job except the pay

Apr 21, 2022 - Researcher II in Minneapolis, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

You will not find better benefits anywhere, great people, tons of perks, working on campus is awesome, great coworkers, management depends on where you're working but there's a lot of great people working at the U of MN. I have job security you can't find in the private sector, I know the work I'm doing is important and isn't based on what is going to be profitable to some shareholders or greedy CEO, and I work in an amazing lab. I am technically hourly but I don't have to report my hours. The plus is I can generally go home as long as my work is done, but I also never get overtime pay. Schedule is flexible and environment is relaxed and stress free.

Cons

The great benefits mean low take-home pay. Medica gets approximately as much money from the U of MN to pay my health insurance premium as I do (net) as a result of me working full time. If you count other benefits + retirement, the U of MN sends majority of what it costs to employ me to other people/companies. At least I don't get taxed on most of that, but you have to admit it is a bit ridiculous-and it is high time the U of MN negotiate for lower premiums with no cuts in coverage. I spent years in college, and I made more working behind a desk at a hotel than I do working as an accomplished academic researcher.

Continue reading
    2 people found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about University of Minnesota.

University of Minnesota Photos

+ Add Photo
University of Minnesota photo of: Welcome to the University of Minnesota.
University of Minnesota photo of: We are driven to discover.
University of Minnesota photo of: Extension brings Minnesotans together to build a better future through University science-based knowledge, expertise and training.
University of Minnesota photo of: Goldy Gopher joins an outdoor qigong class at the Farmers Market on the Twin Cities campus.
University of Minnesota photo of: "I came to the University for the benefits, and I’m staying at the University for the benefits."—Dwayne Holmes, Delivery Service Driver
University of Minnesota photo of: "As the natural areas gardener, I’m diversifying what we plant and incorporating hardy native species into our landscaping."—Alex Wegryzn
University of Minnesota photo of: Crookston faculty teach in a close-knit community that is both big enough for students to grow, and small enough to care about each student.

University of Minnesota Job Seekers Also Viewed