University of North Carolina - Great experience, friendly work environment with lots of opportunities | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of North Carolina

"Great experience, friendly work environment with lots of opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities for research and collaboration abound. If you know what you want to do, and are interested in finding interdisciplinary collaborators, there are essentially unlimited possibilities for cutting-edge research. Chapel Hill is a beautiful place to live. Can't beat the weather, access to nearby cities (and the airport is a 25 minute drive!), and general cultural diversity.

Cons

Salaries are competitive, but living in the area is expensive - housing in particular. Expect to pay "big city" prices if you want to live close to campus. State budget cuts have left some basic services and building upkeep by the wayside. It's hit and miss - some areas of campus are state-of-the-art, others are attended to only once they start (literally) falling apart.

Advice to Management

Administrative staffing seems to have become more bare-bones since I arrived here.

Other Employee Reviews for University of North Carolina

1. "Nice, laid-back atmosphere."

Current Intern - ITS Security Intern in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Intern - ITS Security Intern in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Allows for growth through experimenting with new software and hardware. Lots of learning potential. Manager is very understanding.Don't get pushed to your limits, and has flexible work hours. Gained lots of important exposure into the field of IT Security.

Cons

Sometimes I wish I could ask for more work to do just to gain further exposure however I realize this would involve access that is beyond my pay-grade.

Advice to Management

Be willing to interface with the employees and open to suggestions for more growth opportunities.

2. "Great clinical staff"

Former Contractor - Epic Trainer in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Contractor - Epic Trainer in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at University of North Carolina as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The labor and delivery unit is fantastic

Cons

As a contractor, there aren't many future opportunities available.

Advice to Management

Have someone there to meet the after go-live needs of your staff...someone they are comfortable with and someone who is knowledgable.