University of North Carolina - An experience that has left me with new skills but also knowledgeable about the things I DON'T want for my next position | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of North Carolina

"An experience that has left me with new skills but also knowledgeable about the things I DON'T want for my next position"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Chapel Hill, NC
Current Employee - Research Associate in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Little supervision in the sense that I didn't someone breathing down my neck all the time, but always able to find someone if I needed to ask questions or get feedback. Collaboration between programs and research centers was invaluable. Great benefits as an EPA employee (almost 5 weeks vacation!).

Cons

Academia. Other centers may be different than the one I worked for, but I will never work in academia again. Too much thinking and not enough actually making a difference in people's lives.
With academia also comes the rigid hierarchy. Unlike public agencies on the county or state level, a master's degree is not respected when working with MDs and PhDs.
Because you are a state employee working at UNC, your opportunities for raises are small. Some flexibility if there is extra money in a grant but otherwise, we've seen very small raises the last few years.

Other Employee Reviews for University of North Carolina

1. "Easy work, upward momentum unlikely."

Former Employee - Senior Technical Assistant - Student in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Assistant - Student in Charlotte, NC

I worked at University of North Carolina part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job was simple. The university gives you clear cut instructions on what is and is not part of your job parameters. Learned a lot under my boss there, and most folks were fairly friendly and able to give a helping hand.

Cons

That being said, it was frustrating when there was a problem I could fix but wasn't allowed to fix it due to being worried about stepping on other's toes. If you're fine with that, great place to work.

Advice to Management

Cross train as much as possible for different roles.

2. "definitely watch your back if you work in Woodward"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a good experience working there and the schedule was very flexible with my school. It was a good environment to work with some people and exchange ideas.

Cons

The leaders weren't good leaders and they often show favoritism towards employees they perceived as friends. They definitely were prejudice towards minorities such as (blacks). They lack sense of purpose and don't have the qualities of leader

Advice to Management

Don't deserve to be in the position