University of North Carolina - An experience that has left me with new skills but also knowledgeable about the things I DON'T want for my next position | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of North Carolina

"An experience that has left me with new skills but also knowledgeable about the things I DON'T want for my next position"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Chapel Hill, NC
Current Employee - Research Associate in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Little supervision in the sense that I didn't someone breathing down my neck all the time, but always able to find someone if I needed to ask questions or get feedback. Collaboration between programs and research centers was invaluable. Great benefits as an EPA employee (almost 5 weeks vacation!).

Cons

Academia. Other centers may be different than the one I worked for, but I will never work in academia again. Too much thinking and not enough actually making a difference in people's lives.
With academia also comes the rigid hierarchy. Unlike public agencies on the county or state level, a master's degree is not respected when working with MDs and PhDs.
Because you are a state employee working at UNC, your opportunities for raises are small. Some flexibility if there is extra money in a grant but otherwise, we've seen very small raises the last few years.

Other Employee Reviews for University of North Carolina

"Great school, would attend again!"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Chapel Hill, NC

Pros

Great University, Currently a great department, Great town and metropolitan area. Most professors and groups support healthy work-life balance.

Cons

High student fees make compensation less than it seems. Take $2000 off your yearly stipend to find out what you will really be making. Because of the recent scandals at UNC, things tend to get swept under the rug.

Advice to Management

Compensation needs to be more, but they are slowly increasing the graduate stipend in my department.

2. "Easy work, upward momentum unlikely."

Former Employee - Senior Technical Assistant - Student in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Assistant - Student in Charlotte, NC

I worked at University of North Carolina part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job was simple. The university gives you clear cut instructions on what is and is not part of your job parameters. Learned a lot under my boss there, and most folks were fairly friendly and able to give a helping hand.

Cons

That being said, it was frustrating when there was a problem I could fix but wasn't allowed to fix it due to being worried about stepping on other's toes. If you're fine with that, great place to work.

Advice to Management

Cross train as much as possible for different roles.