University of North Texas - Good people but hard to move up | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of North Texas

"Good people but hard to move up"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denton, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denton, TX

I have been working at University of North Texas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits--great health insurance and retirement plan. The tuition discount is also amazing for anyone who wants to take some classes. The campus is nice and it's awesome to work with students.

Cons

Comparatively low pay to other universities in the area. Difficult to get promoted as a staff member, though I have no idea what it's like as faculty.

Advice to Management

Remember that we are here first and foremost to serve students and to educate. I think a lot of upper level staff start to think of the school like a private business.

Other Employee Reviews for University of North Texas

1. "Wonderful working for a large university."

Former Employee - Student Contact Representative in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Student Contact Representative in Denton, TX

I worked at University of North Texas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The biggest pro to working for UNT is the insurance benefits and paid time off. Generally whenever class is not in session most office are closed, this is in addition to your paid vacation and sick leave. Most of the amenities that are available to the students are available to employees, some with a modest fee but nothing compared to what you would pay off campus.

Cons

The biggest con about working at UNT was the fact that it is extremely difficult to be promoted upwardly rather than laterally. I was there from July 2007 to January 2011 and ended with the same position and salary I started with. I applied for over 45 jobs throughout the campus and received only a handful of interviews and no other offers. This is the same for just about all of my coworkers. My position could not even be expanded so that I could be offered a larger salary, you get what you start with. The only reason I no longer work at UNT was because I had no future there. It is deplorable in my opinion to work four years in one job with no promotion nor salary increase.

Advice to Management

Look more closely at employees that have been with you for years to promote rather than consistently looking outside the university.

"Nice work environment."

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Denton, TX

I have been working at University of North Texas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

UNT seems to be on par with most major universities in terms of science graduate student pay. Decent benefits.

Cons

UNT does not always help pay for tuition. Seems to be very professor dependent which student gets scholarships and fellowships.