University of North Texas - Wonderful working for a large university. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of North Texas

"Wonderful working for a large university."

Former Employee - Student Contact Representative in Denton, TX
Former Employee - Student Contact Representative in Denton, TX

I worked at University of North Texas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The biggest pro to working for UNT is the insurance benefits and paid time off. Generally whenever class is not in session most office are closed, this is in addition to your paid vacation and sick leave. Most of the amenities that are available to the students are available to employees, some with a modest fee but nothing compared to what you would pay off campus.

Cons

The biggest con about working at UNT was the fact that it is extremely difficult to be promoted upwardly rather than laterally. I was there from July 2007 to January 2011 and ended with the same position and salary I started with. I applied for over 45 jobs throughout the campus and received only a handful of interviews and no other offers. This is the same for just about all of my coworkers. My position could not even be expanded so that I could be offered a larger salary, you get what you start with. The only reason I no longer work at UNT was because I had no future there. It is deplorable in my opinion to work four years in one job with no promotion nor salary increase.

Advice to Management

Look more closely at employees that have been with you for years to promote rather than consistently looking outside the university.

Other Employee Reviews for University of North Texas

"Nice work environment."

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Denton, TX

I have been working at University of North Texas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

UNT seems to be on par with most major universities in terms of science graduate student pay. Decent benefits.

Cons

UNT does not always help pay for tuition. Seems to be very professor dependent which student gets scholarships and fellowships.

2. "A fun environment with some good and bad people."

Former Employee - Student Technician in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Student Technician in Denton, TX

I worked at University of North Texas part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay for a part time student position, flexible hours, you work with many other students which can be pretty fun, and the pay is relatively good.

Cons

Some management was very shady in ways they handled things. The department I worked in received a pay cut in order to save some money for a new building as well as every other department minus one who received a pay raise. This department did not deserve a raise, received no new responsibilities, and did practically nothing aside from having a pretty face. Overall many departments were upset because the top tier management made all decisions without even consulting our managers or asking for advice on how to do things. Eventually they asked for their advice after enough people from multiple departments complained and things were rearranged to satisfaction. My position specifically went from $15/hr to $9/hr at first. We later got it raised to $11/hr do to logical complaints.

Advice to Management

You hold an open door policy but many people feel that if they ever came in with a complaint or issue that they'd be fired. Be a bit more transparent, work as a team and don't just do everything YOU feel is correct.