University of Oregon - Fun times with Zebrafish | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of Oregon

"Fun times with Zebrafish"

Current Employee - Lab Assistant in Eugene, OR
Current Employee - Lab Assistant in Eugene, OR

I have been working at University of Oregon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A great work environment with friendly and helpful people. I was always able to find something to do or get help if I needed it. I immediately felt at home in the lab and definitely recommend it for others.

Cons

Though I enjoy my time working in the University or Oregon's Labs, I would have liked to have gotten more hours, which were somewhat limited.

Other Employee Reviews for University of Oregon

1. "Not bad, but glad to leave."

Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Fellow in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Fellow in Eugene, OR

I worked at University of Oregon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with students can be very rewarding, facilities are fairly up-to-date, the campus is nice and walkable, lots of bike parking.

Cons

Changed my tax withholding status without asking or informing me. Bureaucratic nightmare is poorly run and difficult to navigate. Very little actual support from facilities services, and often condescending. No other job options in area if UO does not work out. Serious network connectivity issues for Macs, and IT does not know *anything* about Macs, or how to help.

Advice to Management

Purchase some standard accounting software, because what you have is borderline unusable by *all* parties, including employees in accounting.

Get new or different IT so that Macs receive connectivity support.

Place an inexpensive laptop in each lecture room to give slideshows on, because the cables used to connect personal computers are frequently in poor repair and therefore don't work, or work badly.

Have some sort of system by which GTFs may have a cheap loaner computer for a few weeks if need be. Computers on campus cannot reasonably be used to answer student emails at all hours.

GTFs would be able to spend more time and effort on teaching and graduating if they were paid more than low poverty wages. Even in reduced cost student housing, wages are a tight squeeze.

2. "good job for a graduate student"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Eugene, OR

Pros

health benefits are great for a student, flexible schedule

Cons

it's sometime difficult to get other employees to take your work seriously as a graduate research assistant