University of Pennsylvania Press - Not a bad place to start out. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of Pennsylvania Press

"Not a bad place to start out."

Current Employee - Acquisitions Assistant in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - Acquisitions Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Penn Press is a nice laid back environment. You can learn a lot about publishing. The University of Pennsylvania benefits are great.

Cons

There is no real way to move up within the company. They do not pay very well. Annual raises are between 1%-5%, but you probably aren't getting the highest amount. Your raise basically depends on whose assistant you are. Some supervisors will automatically give you a much higher review than others.

Advice to Management

Room for advancement would be nice. So would a less arbitrary review process. Otherwise, this is a fine place to work.

Other Employee Reviews for University of Pennsylvania Press

1. "A small, non-profit press' advantages and disadvantages are mostly size-related."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

You can learn a lot about academic publishing in general because the press is a small, close-knit group of people that communicate across departments frequently. Also, you have great health benefits, plentiful vacation time/sick days, and tuition benefits at the University of Pennsylvania. Upper management is also very understanding when you call in sick or need to take a personal day.

Cons

Because it's a small press, there isn't much room for advancement. There is also little room in the building that we work, so quite a few people are relegated to cubicles in small rooms. Lastly, as with any non-profit press, technology takes a back seat to other budget needs, and computers are old models with little RAM.

Advice to Management

The press building, while a beautiful Victorian house with lots of history, and is not an ideal office building.

2. "Nice environment to work"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at University of Pennsylvania Press as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed my overall experience. Very nice people -- my supervisors were always happy to answer questions. Laid-back environment. Like another reviewer said, the Press is in one of those nice, old buildings you see around Philadelphia.

Cons

Designing promotional materials, I found that there wasn't a lot of room for creativity; the Press leans on the conservative side, which is understandable but not all that helpful for marketing purposes.
    Also, though the building is (I assume) Victorian and really nice-looking on the outside, it is practically freezing on the inside -- not so much a problem during the summer, but during the winter the heating around the house is really spotty. It was especially cold in my cubicle, even when I was wearing a winter coat and gloves.