University of Pennsylvania - So far, as an undergraduate researcher my experience has been wonderful. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of Pennsylvania

"So far, as an undergraduate researcher my experience has been wonderful."

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - Research Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at University of Pennsylvania part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The professors are great to work with. I work in a group of doctoral students and I do the same caliber of work that they do. Professors are very receptive to your input, which is refreshing because I know that is not necessarily the same at other institutions.

Cons

I wish Penn better integrated other disciplines. All they claim to try to integrate knowledge and even have endowed professorships through the "Penn Integrates Knowledge", with the four schools I still find Penn academically decentralized.

Advice to Management

To structure both graduate and undergraduate curriculum to where there is more interdisciplinary learning within all 12 schools.

Other Employee Reviews for University of Pennsylvania

1. "Great place to learn and grow around very smart people"

I have been working at University of Pennsylvania part-time

Pros

Good opportunities, rewarding career, great place to build a good network and working relationships. I worked as a part time employee but learned a lot.

Cons

Salary may not always be satisfying and many times one has to work voluntarily for a while before getting paid. But this is a trend in many universities so won't hold it against the university.

2. "Biological engineering researcher"

I have been working at University of Pennsylvania full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good opportunities for learning. A large, prominent med school gives opportunities for collaboration with individuals in the top of their field.
    As a researcher working in a lab, the exact working environment and culture will vary considerably depending on the individual lab.

Cons

As with all academia related positions, you are at the mercy getting continued funding, typically from government sources. It is not unusual for positions to be cut during times when funding dwindles.