University of Pennsylvania - Great benefits, but not a lot of opportunities | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for University of Pennsylvania

"Great benefits, but not a lot of opportunities"

Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at University of Pennsylvania full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Penn really cares about its employees. They have excellent time off benefits, unbeatable tuition benefits, and in general, managers here are all very understanding of the need for work/life balance.

Cons

Promotions are non-existent. The only way to move up is to apply for a different job with a higher title, and go through the usual interview process. On a related note, HR is centralized, but that doesn't really make sense, because Penn doesn't work like a large company: you can't easily move to a different team or department, and different teams or departments may have very different compensation for the same title & responsibilities. Essentially, you're trading in career mobility for a few extra days off, and if you're early in your career, that trade may not be worth it.

Advice to Management

Either decentralize HR and give individual hiring groups more control over who & how they hire, or make it easier for employees to stay at Penn by 1. allowing promotions again and 2. allowing employees to easily transfer between schools and departments.

Other Employee Reviews for University of Pennsylvania

1. "Great Place to Work"

Pros

Good benefits and great 401k

Cons

Nothing. Great place to work.

2. "So far, as an undergraduate researcher my experience has been wonderful."

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at University of Pennsylvania part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The professors are great to work with. I work in a group of doctoral students and I do the same caliber of work that they do. Professors are very receptive to your input, which is refreshing because I know that is not necessarily the same at other institutions.

Cons

I wish Penn better integrated other disciplines. All they claim to try to integrate knowledge and even have endowed professorships through the "Penn Integrates Knowledge", with the four schools I still find Penn academically decentralized.

Advice to Management

To structure both graduate and undergraduate curriculum to where there is more interdisciplinary learning within all 12 schools.