University of Phoenix - This is a dream job | Glassdoor

"This is a dream job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

The work environment is low stress and professional. The people I work with are well trained, and add much to the job experience.

Cons

The hours can be late depending on the shift. Also, working with customer service can be a draining task, and can present frustration

Advice to Management

I am very proud of the company I work for. The experience here has been the best of any place I've worked.

Other Employee Reviews for University of Phoenix

"It is a decent job as long as you are buddy-buddy with management"

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

The schedule was relatively flexible and the benefits were well above those of other companies. there is a cafeteria and gym at the main Phoenix campus. Covered parking if your shift started early. Easy to make friends with coworkers.

Cons

The cafeteria is expensive and the gym is packed all the time. When you leave the company, you don't exist, even to good friends you made there.
         Management is a bit aloof as to what is really happening with their teams. Upper management is worse. They both focus too much on the number of students enrolled and not the quality of the students enrolled. Top performers have low retention but that doesn't matter because their students struggled through the first class and barely managed to pass. Two weeks into the next class, there is no more responsibility on the part of the enrollment counselor, even when the student drops out during the third week of the class.
         There is little to no communication when it comes to new programs...they just appear on the website and counselors look like idiots because they don't know about it.
         My manager was always giving me extra assignments that took away from my smiling and dialing and I ultimately got let go because my numbers were sub-par. When my manager asked me why my numbers were low, I told him it was because of all the extra crap he makes me do. If I said no to a project, he would give the dead leads to work with. If I did the projects, I got better leads but had no time to work them.

Advice to Management

Play fair. Promote from your own division and promote only those that can actually do the job. Promoting your buddies from other divisions just so you can work together is not beneficial for anyone.

"Uninformed"

Current Employee - Online Instructor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Online Instructor in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Great training program and for me quite a few classes to teach. A great deal of autonomy for instructors.

Cons

No direct supervision, contract management is one sided, low pay, unannounced changes to contract and course requirements. If you have a common last name then you may get dropped from the university e-mail list.

Advice to Management

Contract employees are full time employees and should be accorded the same respect as any other employee.