University of Phoenix - Great locally, terrible corporate management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of Phoenix

"Great locally, terrible corporate management"

Pros

the downsizing; little opportunity for growth

Cons

great local campus culture, good benefits

Other Employee Reviews for University of Phoenix

1. "Fine for occasional adjunct teaching but not viable for full-time work"

Current Employee - Instructor
    Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at University of Phoenix part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good experience in learning ins and outs of online teaching; relatively small classes; some flexibility in developing course assignments; fairly good workshops; online grade book is easy to use; flexible schedule.

Cons

During recruitment, I was told 2 classes at a time was the norm for the 1st year, and that full-time teaching positions would be available after my first year if I performed well. Because of vacillating enrollment, teaching assignments are now quite limited, despite very positive peer evaluations and effusive praise from my mentor during training. I've known several instructors, including my mentor, who left because their workload dropped from full-time to an occasional class. Many others have left because the assignments are no longer steady; sometimes you get new classes as soon as the current ones end, and sometimes there's a gap of a few months between classes..

Advice to Management

During recruitment, make it clear that the normal class load is 1-2 classes at a time, often with 2-3 months between classes. If you set expectations with potential new faculty, they can make an informed decision. For existing faculty, implement a method of assigning classes that makes sense. If you want to use a combination of tenure and peer evaluation scores, that would be fine. Right now it seems as if classes are assigned by throwing darts.

2. "The good, the bad, the ugly"

Current Employee - Advisor
    Current Employee - Advisor

I have been working at University of Phoenix full-time

Pros

The pros of this school is that they are really for the students success. Sometimes a little too much.

Cons

Since the Department of Ed forbids schools to use Student Retention as a way to measure employees, UOPX still manages to put heavy pressure on their Advisors during the 1-on-1's with their boss. I believe in being coachable is a very important factor, but I am very unhappy how UOPX masks inappropriate measurements with thier "passion" for student success. With the closure of tons of campuses in October, I do not feel safe staying here nor do I see any progression.
    Opportunities are incredibly limited unless you want to move to Arizona. Additionally, the measurements used in our phone conversation with students that makes the "Advisor" postion feel more like a Call Center job.

Advice to Management

Stop masking Student Retention with "Student Success." Though I understand that the business aspect is important, but the measurements should never be done by the individual Advisor, but the campus itselft. Otherwise, you are continuously making your employees feel like they will never succeed. Additional, the "Career Progression" tool is only useful if you live in Phoenix and not anwhere else.