University of Phoenix - Online Classes | Glassdoor

"Online Classes"

Current Intern - Contributing Author Intern in Pittsburgh, PA
Current Intern - Contributing Author Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at University of Phoenix as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Unlike traditional classes that a person takes in a brick and mortar college the online curriculum and program for the University of Phoenix, School of Business it is a self-disciplined approach to education.
The fact that an instructor is available 24/7 at any hour in the online class is exceptional and the fact that the student has 24/7 access to classes and could allow for a more flexible schedule.

Cons

The crucial and missing piece of traditional vs. online classes is that the social interaction within the educational setting is missing and is crucial in business environments.

Advice to Management

Arrange periodic traditional setting classes to meet the social aspect needs of the student.

Other Employee Reviews for University of Phoenix

"Strong potential, limited ability to execute"

Former Employee - Counselor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Counselor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked for the University of Phoenix for nearly 8 years. I worked in Arizona and in California in a variety of roles. At the hub in Phoenix, the opportunities are excellent. There are lots of openings, opportunities for creativity, movement up, down, and around. It is one of Phoenix's largest employers and they gave me my first real chance to take care of my family after college. The promotion to manager was one of the best things to happen to me.

Cons

Much of the cons come from working at the Southern California ground campus. The two places (online and ground) are world's apart. At the ground campus, I was switched from a salary position (read: flexible schedule) to an hourly position (read: rigid schedule). The biggest issue with the ground campus specifically is the ego-maniacal, backwards, poisonous culture that exists. The advancement opportunities are non-existent. Thus, an individual must do more to personally satisfy hiring managers than what is reasonable at large companies. The layoffs add to the stress. The focus on hours, calls, and retention still exists despite government regulations to the contrary. The money and the power allowed people to become more of who they were, which in the case of our leadership and staff, were people that would probably have difficult ever getting hired anywhere else. My former manager now has 1 person working for them when there were 8. It happened in six months. I left the company in April and will never look back.

Advice to Management

The glory days of for-profit education have ended. The focus is on people. Please look at the leaders that have a misunderstanding of people and assess whether they are right for the job. This would even include yourselves.

2. "Unethical Company"

Former Employee - Finance Counselor in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Finance Counselor in Tempe, AZ

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to start out of college

Cons

I witnessed many unethical practices during my tenure at the company. They are a for profit company and that came first before educating students. Many people were enrolled that should not have been just so enrollment aka sales can hit their numbers.