University of Phoenix - Extensive training program and good salary/benefits | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of Phoenix

"Extensive training program and good salary/benefits"

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor
Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary and benefits are competitive.

Cons

Inadequate and unqualified campus managers.

Other Employee Reviews for University of Phoenix

"Mixed Emotions"

Current Contractor - Instructor
    Current Contractor - Instructor

I have been working at University of Phoenix as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

The University of Phoenix hires good people. The staff have been supportive, kind, and constant. I feel that I have learned through some of the training. The benefits of being a teacher are phenomenal in regards to education software, being part of a corporate discount program, and networking. The company does pay a lot for scholarship contributions. Their writing program has improved immensely. I am glad I have had the experience of working for them.

Cons

The company expects a lot of work from its teachers in training, scholarship, and staying connected to its overall community--especially in return for the adjunct pay. Its pay increments are very, very small and there is a cap at teaching after ten years. I recently worked for a University that has far less market share that paid me substantially more for one class (about 30% more).

When I say that the writing program has improved immensely, I mean that I have had to work through a lot of challenges and restrictions in the curriculum. I have worked for the company for a long time. They recently hired 315 full-time writing teachers and in some cases hired teachers who worked for other organizations over those who had worked for the University. This may be due to restrictions to the accreditations, but this was not communicated to the faculty and left a low morale with some of those who were not considered--as the University communicated in its forums they were hiring the best of the best.

Advice to Management

Keep going in some of the directions you have taken. I think the new online classroom and the magazine are phenomenal. You generally hire good customer service people. There is a lot of e-mail communication saying how wonderful faculty are and yet your pay and compensation do not reflect it.

2. "Regional Account Advisor"

Former Employee - Regional Account Advisor
    Former Employee - Regional Account Advisor

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Large company with deep pockets
    -Good benefits
    -My position worked for home which provided exceptional flexibility
    -Very supportive management structure

Cons

-Job performance is evaluated on things that are easily manipulated
    -Job security is questionable after current mass layoffs
    -The reputation of the college is constantly under scrutiny which makes it hard to do the job

Advice to Management

-Spent time finding evaluation techniques that pertain directly to the job
    -Make employees more accountable for their work
    -Stop downsizing....it is only creating more work for the few employees that you are keeping