University of Phoenix - A great company for educational benefits, but enrollment focus is geared toward anyone that can breathe. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of Phoenix

"A great company for educational benefits, but enrollment focus is geared toward anyone that can breathe."

Current Employee - Senior Quality Assurance Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Senior Quality Assurance Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at University of Phoenix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I originally liked feeling as though my role made a difference, as working in Tech Support was a great way to interface with students and provide them with the support they needed to get through school. The education benefits are great. The compensation has been good throughout my roles. I like the idea of the company values that are in place. I feel like all of my leaders actually cared about my well being and displayed that by helping me get time off when needed. I feel like the work-life balance, when in an hourly position, is decent.

Cons

I am diametrically opposed to the education model that UOP employs as a for-profit institution. Having talked to and listened to thousands of students over the years in my roles, I feel like a MAJORITY of them are being taken advantage of so that UOP can make money. They enroll people for online programs that have barely used a computer and the 'introductory workshop' is a poorly structured and doesn't help to really weed out people that shouldn't be in an online university. As such, it's not uncommon for students to get 2 -3 blocks in, withdrawing large student loan amounts, and then dropping out because they just can't handle the work. UOP doesn't require an ACT or SAT type standardized entry exam, and as such, anyone that breathes and can get student loans is a target, which contributes to my negative feelings about the organization.

Beyond all of that, I feel like the work life balance in an exempt (salary) position is less desirable than hourly. There are no profit sharing or bonus incentives to make you feel better about working 45+ hours a week, and as such, there are months where I make less hourly than I did in my last role. The workload in my department has been a mess for months, and director level management seems to simply looks at the numbers to say we don't need to back-fill the two team members that left last year, while everyone on the team is constantly asking when the workload will calm down due to a poor work-life balance.

The role itself used to feel like it mattered in the grand scheme of the student experience, but with feedback from floor agents advising that they never have a chance to review their quality scores, and that their managers barely coach them or help them out, it makes me feel like my role has virtually no impact on how agents can improve their performance.

Advice to Management

Try to connect with people in the workforce as individuals rather than as a liability in your budget. Stop optimizing workload values on a spreadsheet and realize that people need a good work-life balance to continue to want to work for you. Try doing an 'undercover' internship with agents to see what they actually deal with from day to day. Oh, and team lunches; spring for a few of those. You'd be surprised how hard people work when you take care of them.

Other Employee Reviews for University of Phoenix

"It's a Start"

Current Employee - Associate Faculty in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate Faculty in Washington, DC

I have been working at University of Phoenix part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great adjunct teaching position starting out
    Students are great
    Variety of course offerings and programs
    Several campuses in the DMV area

Cons

Poor pay compared to other for profit institutions
    Support varies for faculty dealing with student issues
    Can be stuck teaching the same courses and it can be repetitive and boring
    Some department heads are rude, incompetent, insensitive and are not supportive of faculty growing
    Some department heads apply favoritism when assigning courses

Advice to Management

Allow instructors to apply for new courses instead of telling them they do not qualify. Stop being a gatekeeper and allow qualified instructors to move around to different departments and teach other courses. Get rid of unfair and biased department heads that play favoritism.

2. "Adjunct Faculty"

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Nashville, TN

I worked at University of Phoenix part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

5 week courses; great for additional income and great turn around to make more. Hybrid courses - Face to Face with all assignment submissions online! Curriculum for all courses developed by UoP, Instructor only needs to personalize and set up the online tools available!

Cons

Too many instructors hoarding classes. New Instructors fight to get what one can. Administration not timely or effective in returning calls, emails, or answering questions. Administrators ask for you to choose next class to teach so they can schedule & fill with students BUT do not give those classes to new instructors.

Advice to Management

If you want more instructors to help increase your student numbers; limit classes taught per month by instructors and ensure new instructors get at least 2 classes a month to teach.