University of Pittsburgh - Somewhat underpaid, but good benefits and work/life balance | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of Pittsburgh

"Somewhat underpaid, but good benefits and work/life balance"

Current Employee - Part-time Instructor in Pittsburgh, PA
Current Employee - Part-time Instructor in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at University of Pittsburgh part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are quite good, including unlimited free access to public transportation. You also get health insurance even if you're only teaching one class (considered 10 hours per week).

Cons

As a part-time instructor, my compensation works out to $18.00 per hour, pre-tax. In my opinion, that's too low for the highly skilled and specialized work I do, especially given the total lack of job security from semester to semester and the fact that most of us are lucky to get just two classes (20 hours per week). The end result is that we have relaxed schedules, decent health insurance, and perks like free transportation, but earn the equivalent of full-time fast food wages. Not a bad deal at all if you have a partner or spouse who can make up the income gap, but tough in any other circumstance.

Advice to Management

Payroll used to be an awful hassle, but in recent years, it's gotten better-- more responsive-- and you can do things like file or revise W-3s online. More administrative streamlining like this would be welcome.

Other Employee Reviews for University of Pittsburgh

1. "Good work place but health insurance is not good"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at University of Pittsburgh full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work environment and benefits are good

Cons

UPMC health insurance is not good

"Great place to work."

Current Employee - Systems Programmer IV in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Systems Programmer IV in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at University of Pittsburgh full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits and perks are outstanding. Great co-workers and flexible management. High level of job satisfaction, real sense of making an impact.

Cons

Pay is lower than that comparable corporate position, but that is somewhat made up for with the benefits. Not a lot of room for advancement unless entering as a lower level position.

Advice to Management

Consideration of flex-time would be highly appreciated