University of Southern California - USC experience: good if you are an employee, average if you are a post-doc on a fellowship | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of Southern California

"USC experience: good if you are an employee, average if you are a post-doc on a fellowship"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in East Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in East Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at University of Southern California full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Good benefits: match 401K contribution, health care benefits options, strong alumni network, winter break vacation

Cons

-Private university: PIs do not have to pay post-docs NIH salary standard; lose employee benefits when your salary is paid from a fellowship (currently working to correct it).

Other Employee Reviews for University of Southern California

"Worked at Health Science Campus. Good benefits including great retirement plan kept me there for over 10 years"

Former Employee - Clinician in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Clinician in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at University of Southern California full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Access to great continuing educational opportunties and some great minds (some dead wood also, but great overall). For some, great career path opportunities if you are a team player.

Cons

Politics often over-rules common sense. Salary low to middling (sometimes subject to research grant limitations).

Advice to Management

It's almost a given that management in health care and clinical staff have conflicts. NOTHING I could say would have an impact.

"It's ok"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at University of Southern California full-time

Pros

Unlike others, I have a great boss, in which I am very fortunate. I am well respected and my opinion is greatly valued, which can be rare at USC. I'm at the Health Science location, so we have a smaller sense of community. I have been able to interact with other staff, faculty and students in a positive manner. This position is a great stepping stone for me, and I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

Cons

I moved here to take this job because it was a better career move for me, but had to take a big pay cut (~48K to ~ 43K). So, I'm really struggling financially, and living paycheck to paycheck, despite me having a Masters degree. My boss has promised on getting me a raise (and that's also why I took the position), but its almost been a year and nothing yet. I now how to look for a 2nd job, because I'm struggling. I live very basic and I never expected to be so stressed with finances when I accepted this position. Also, I expected more out of the benefits package. The retirement is excellent, as USC will match my contribution. However, the medical is too expensive. I am paying about $250 a month for just my husband and me to have basic coverage. The copay's and Rx benefits are also expensive ($25-50 for an office visit, $15+ for an Rx). I previously came from the University of California system, and their health benefits were much, much better ($15 copay's, $10 Rx). Also, what I'm finding equally as frustrating is how disjointed and fragmented the USC system is. No one is accountable here, and no one knows what is going on. We don't have set departments to contact for assistance (e.g. - human resources, purchases, etc.), and we don't have any employee development courses, etc. I don't understand how this institution lasted for so long like this. Even the employee orientation was confusing, and there is no one to speak to for assistance signing up for benefits, answering my questions ,etc. They just showed these vague, short 2 min youtube clips on medical, dental, vision benefits. That is not effective, and just lazy. Again, I really like my boss and the work I'm doing; however, it I cannot receive a pay increase, I find it difficult to stay here much longer. And it is true what others have said about staff being low on the totem pole in comparison to faculty. My dept hosted a retreat; however, no staff were allowed to attend. Only faculty could go. It showed me that even though my boss values me (who is a faculty member), on the whole, I am not valued to other faculty members within my dept. Also, there has been a lot of turnover here at the Health Science Campus, which raises red flags with me. USC is losing a lot of talent to other organizations. If the cons I listed don't improve soon, I will have to follow suit.

Advice to Management

Please consult with professionals about making USC a more cohesive organization and less fragmented. It makes no sense that we don't have departments and individual to seek for assistance. Additionally, I know the economy is tough, but we need pay increases. It makes no sense that I moved here for this job, took a pay cut, and now I have to find a 2nd job to survive down here. And please make the benefits more affordable. Staff don't make six figure incomes like the faculty and many are struggling with the little you provide us.