University of Southern California - Research Associate in Environmental Health at Keck School of Medicine | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of Southern California

"Research Associate in Environmental Health at Keck School of Medicine"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at University of Southern California full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As in any academic position, the flexible time schedule is great. There are definitely opportunities for your own research, and to develop collaboration. It was also nice to be considered staff with the associated benefits

Cons

As in any academic position, the level of your happiness depends a lot on your supervisor. Also how well you can network with others relies on your supervisor. Mine was awful, which is why I rated the job so low.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately for me my supervisor made my experience awful. I think if there was a direct boss for my supervisor or mediator, I would have had the ability to make my situation better. Unfortunately none were available to me.

Other Employee Reviews for University of Southern California

1. "Overall it was a very positive atmosphere that cared for its employees."

Former Employee - Work Study Position As An Undergrad in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Work Study Position As An Undergrad in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at University of Southern California part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Free stuff! There are so many events that Rec Sports hosts with a lot of free things, which is nice.
    -Jennifer Siu (Associate Director) bakes all of the time, which is great.
    -Being in an environment that is service and student-centered.

Cons

-Sometimes communication amongst administration and Student Affairs and Athletics can be questionable. Also, the distribution of office responsibilities is a bit rocky.

"Solid benefits, stable employment"

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst III in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst III in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at University of Southern California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very stable environment. Great retirement benefits. Great work life balance. If you have a family and need a stable job, this is the place to be.

Cons

Corporate bureaucracy. Hard to get promotions. Promotions rarely happen among staff members, to get promoted, one usually need to apply for an opening just like any outside applicants and compete with them.

Advice to Management

Create a more vibrant workplace environment and culture, and devise better career development paths. The management needs to be more agile, the slow-moving management is creating a stifling environment for those that just want to focus on accomplishing their jobs.