University of Southern California - Overall I enjoy working at USC as well as working with my coworkers. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of Southern California

"Overall I enjoy working at USC as well as working with my coworkers."

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst III in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Programmer Analyst III in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Relaxed work environment.
Good benefits.
Coworkers are friendly.
Moderately satisfying and challenging work without the pressure to meet rigorous deadlines.

Cons

Don't always get to work on cutting edge technology.
Not quite as challenging work as I would like.
I don't often get to really push myself passed my limits to improve my skills.

Advice to Management

While I agree with the Keep It Simple Stupid mantra, and setting the priority on getting the job done without having to spend time on a "pretty" solution I think there are times when taking some more time to find a middle ground will create more modular and adaptable tools in the long run.

Other Employee Reviews for University of Southern California

1. "USC is a fantastic place to work."

Current Employee - LAN Administrator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - LAN Administrator in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

For starters, the benefits are great. Academia is a low pressure enviornment compared to the previous Consulting firm I worked at, where recognition was not based on a "job well done" rather, how many hours you billed clients. I am surrounded by educated and generally kind people.

Cons

There are some politics involved, this is probably the case at any workplace. Problems can be easily be avoided by not stepping on peoples toes!

Advice to Management

The management for my department is fanastic, I don't work directly with the CIO or Senior management. It's safe to assume they are doing a great job as well. I like how USC's ITS does not lock down all of its users, despite it being "less safe" it makes for a much better work enviornment and keeps moral up.

"stimulating professional environment"

Current Employee - Professor In Business in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Professor In Business in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

successful school that is getting better every year, great benefits for employees especially free tuition for children. Successful sports teams add to the pride and loyalty of the institution and there is a very strong local alumni Trojan network that is very helpful.

Cons

crowded city, bad commute, high real estate prices but love working at the university. Can't do much about the environment but the university is working closely with the immediate community to develop strong partnerships.

Advice to Management

continue to grow and expand services and benefits to employees, communicate the university's strategy to the community. University administration is viewed as being overly bureaucratic.