University of Sunderland - Brilliant place to work | Glassdoor
  1. "Brilliant place to work"

Current Employee - Digital Content Editor in London, England

I have been working at University of Sunderland full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly, informative and kind staff

Cons

None so far, couldn't be happier!

University of Sunderland2019-08-19

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Negative Work Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at University of Sunderland full-time for less than a year

Pros

This review applies to the LONDON CAMPUS. There are some good employees at the London Campus, but most leave after a year or so once they realise there are much better Universities in London to work at.

Cons

One of my first observations of the Senior Management at the London Campus was how for such a successful campus, they don't really celebrate success, but thrive on negativity and make a huge deal over what were, in my opinion really minor matters. Like other comments for this campus, the pay rates are below other Universities in London, less annual leave as well compared to other Universites and the NEST pension is... an absolute insult at just 3% contribution when other Universities contribute so much more. Even the staff at the main Campus in Sunderland get a better benefits package than the staff in London, which is really ironic considering how the London Campus makes so much profit and is basically funding the main campus, since it's not doing so well financially.

Advice to Management

Not worth the energy of writing anything as they don't care or listen. My advice would be to get ride of most of the Senior Management as that's where the problem sits and it keeps on trickling down, hence the high staff turn over.

University of Sunderland2019-10-13
  2. "London Campus - TOXIC, don't work here."

Former Employee - Student Assistant in London, England

I worked at University of Sunderland full-time for more than a year

Pros

The support staff and lecturers work hard under a difficult structures. There are some good managers with a positive and supportive attitude towards their staff. Work/life balance is good. I didn't feel expected to work late, or do more than was required of my job role. The holidays are quite good.

Cons

The main issue with this campus is the senior management team. It is a toxic work environment which flows down from the top. Some of the senior managers are bullies, while the others sit back and watch. There is little respect, support or motivation given to the staff, especially in student services. It felt like we were constantly being criticised no matter how hard we worked. Staff who disagree or... challenge senior management are ostracised and/or bullied. The pension is poor. Main campus staff are treated differently to London Campus staff.

Advice to Management

Show some respect for your staff. Stop bullying. Why not try motivating, communicating and making it a great place to work. Why not listen to the staff and their ideas? Perhaps then there would not be such a high turnover of staff.

University of Sunderland2019-09-30

Discover more reviews about University of Sunderland.