University of Tasmania - Friendly working environment that appreciates unique thinking and individual attributes | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of Tasmania

"Friendly working environment that appreciates unique thinking and individual attributes"

Current Contractor - Tutor in Hobart (Australia)
Current Contractor - Tutor in Hobart (Australia)

I have been working at University of Tasmania as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great feel of belonging and working as a unit toward similar goals. A very intellectually satisfying work ethic, which also fulfils my desire to find challenge and solve problems in my work. The times are not too strict either, which is simply due to the expectation that you work proactively and independently to complete the tasks at hand.

Cons

At times the working environment can be tense and terse, where people can sometimes seem rude or uncaring. However, this is just a sense of the speed and intensity by which we are expected to work with, and so if you are not someone who likes to work under pressure then perhaps you need to reconsider employment here.

Advice to Management

Sometimes personal relations and working 'politics' get in the way of actually improving working conditions, but more importantly the forward progress of our services to students (our clients). As an education providers, our primary goals should be student learning, teaching techniques and of course research excellence. However, so far I have experienced and heard of politics at the level that may even rival governmental discussions, where often it is not about ability or credential, but more who you know and how you know them. Maybe this is something that can be worked on in the future.

Other Employee Reviews for University of Tasmania

1. "Issues swept under the carpet"

I worked at University of Tasmania full-time

Pros

Very laid back
    Manageable workload
    Good pay & employment conditions

Cons

Management sweeps issues under the carpet, would rather pay people out to stay silent than address underlying problems.
    Career progression depends on who you know.
    Nepotism is an issue
    Culture is like a step back in time - very top down, employees skills are not valued
    Very little professional development opportunities

Advice to Management

Identify your good employees, listen to and look after them.

2. "Research Assistant"

I have been working at University of Tasmania full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can Learn new things

Cons

you do Not get much support.