University of Tasmania - Friendly working environment that appreciates unique thinking and individual attributes | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of Tasmania

"Friendly working environment that appreciates unique thinking and individual attributes"

Current Contractor - Tutor in Hobart (Australia)
Current Contractor - Tutor in Hobart (Australia)

I have been working at University of Tasmania as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great feel of belonging and working as a unit toward similar goals. A very intellectually satisfying work ethic, which also fulfils my desire to find challenge and solve problems in my work. The times are not too strict either, which is simply due to the expectation that you work proactively and independently to complete the tasks at hand.

Cons

At times the working environment can be tense and terse, where people can sometimes seem rude or uncaring. However, this is just a sense of the speed and intensity by which we are expected to work with, and so if you are not someone who likes to work under pressure then perhaps you need to reconsider employment here.

Advice to Management

Sometimes personal relations and working 'politics' get in the way of actually improving working conditions, but more importantly the forward progress of our services to students (our clients). As an education providers, our primary goals should be student learning, teaching techniques and of course research excellence. However, so far I have experienced and heard of politics at the level that may even rival governmental discussions, where often it is not about ability or credential, but more who you know and how you know them. Maybe this is something that can be worked on in the future.

Other Employee Reviews for University of Tasmania

1. "Englia=sh Teacher"

Current Employee - English Teacher in Launceston (Australia)
    Current Employee - English Teacher in Launceston (Australia)

Pros

Nice environment and great students.

Cons

lack of certainty and career opportunities.

Advice to Management

nil

2. "PhD Student"

I have been working at University of Tasmania full-time

Pros

Additional pay for tutoring readily available.

Cons

Graduate Research Office is quite incompetent and wastes students time with unnecessary course work and bureaucracy.