University of Toronto - Good, secure job, with lots of different opportunities" | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of Toronto

"Good, secure job, with lots of different opportunities""

Current Employee - Audio Visual Technician in Scarborough, ON (Canada)
Current Employee - Audio Visual Technician in Scarborough, ON (Canada)

I have been working at University of Toronto part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a Secure job with lots of different opportunities. Full time employees have room to grow in a department, even switch into different departments.
Very vibrant community, and a good working environment. Organization has lots of programs and facilities for employees.

Competitive salaries.

Cons

Internal politics meaning directors run the show despite not always being qualified. There is minimal to no training for student employees. Rather than training students to be better qualified they hire full time employees.

Advice to Management

Train student employees and consult staff for cost effective solutions ... rather than paying big bucks to companies that do half the job.

Other Employee Reviews for University of Toronto

1. "Postdoctoral Fellow"

Current Contractor - Postdoctoral Fellow in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Contractor - Postdoctoral Fellow in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at University of Toronto as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

The status of Postdocs at UofT remains unchanged. Since you answer to you supervisor only, there is little involvement from UofT.

Cons

Barely any benefits for Postdocs compared to employees or graduate students. The inability to contribute to RRSPs, EI is a big drawback and hampers financial planning for the future. Similarly, taxes are not deducted from the pay check, make sure to put that aside somewhere.

Advice to Management

I had a great supervisor, but considering the number of PI's at UofT my advice is choose wisely, Make sure you get to know your co-workers before you start. Seek out a supervisor that get's the teams input on new hires, not everyone does and you can end up with a new team member that doesn't fit the existing team.

2. "It's a good learning environment"

Current Employee - Graduate Student
    Current Employee - Graduate Student

I have been working at University of Toronto full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of flexibility in that I can pursue any type of research I'm interested in and hours are flexible as well.

Cons

The work itself is very slow and you spend a lot of time and effort on long projects that don't always work. Compared to others with similar education, we are paid at nearly minimum wage for long, weekend and weeknight hours.

Advice to Management

It's a learning institution so it's fine.