University of Toronto - Great experience! | Glassdoor

"Great experience!"

Former Contractor - Research Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
Former Contractor - Research Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at University of Toronto as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I had the opportunity to work with some of the top professors within their field during my time at the University of Toronto which offered many learning experiences!

Cons

I was on contract which limited my working hours.

Other Employee Reviews for University of Toronto

"A great place to work, as long as you can put up with the typical bureaucracy and lethargy of a large institution."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scarborough, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scarborough, ON (Canada)

I have been working at University of Toronto full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, competitive salaries, great professional development. Lots of variation between departments, in terms of work environment and types of jobs. At the Scarborough Campus, there is a pretty good culture of collegiality and collaboration. Also, the campus is constantly growing, which allows for positional growth and new opportunities.

Cons

It's an enormous institution full of levels of bureaucracy and red tape. While your department might be forward-thinking and nimble, the 'approval process' to move on opportunities can be painfully slow. This can be entirely frustrating and de-motivating. Also, many issues can easily 'fall through the cracks', leaving workers in lower-level positions feeling forgotten as they wait for upper management to make decisions.

Advice to Management

There are many very talented people who cycle through entry level positions because there isn't enough attention being paid to employee retention and development on the lower levels. This is a huge shame, seeing as many of these positions are filled by graduates of UofT, who automatically start with institutional knowledge and loyalty. Something needs to be done to keep the institution from either bleeding talent or breeding discontent.

2. "Great experience"

Former Contractor - Website Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Website Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at University of Toronto as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were very gracious and helpful.

Cons

No cons I can think of