University of Toronto - Fantastic experience in one of the best universities in the world | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of Toronto

"Fantastic experience in one of the best universities in the world"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
Former Employee - Research Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at University of Toronto full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic networking abilities with some of the best professors in the world in their respective fields

Cons

Salary is relatively lower than in the industry

Other Employee Reviews for University of Toronto

"Started great but the wheels were coming off when I left"

Former Employee - Communications Officer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Communications Officer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at University of Toronto full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic physical environment. You are working in a park and your benefits package gives you access most places on campus (two gyms, Faculty Clubs, etc...)
    Discounted tuition for non-professional faculties.

Free tuition to the School of Continuing Studies.

When I worked there, they were in the midst of what would become the largest philanthropic campaign in Canadian history. It was a very exciting time on campus, with a lot going on and access to some of the greatest minds in Canada and the world. One afternoon I found myself, a fairly junior staff member at the time, dining at Massey College with two Nobel winners and a Fielding Prize winner.

Cons

After the fundraising campaign ended, the administration encouraged those who had worked on the campaign not to leave for other universities and other campaigns, as is the norm, as U of T would be starting another campaign within two years. Due to a number of factors, that didn't happen and those of us who had stuck around were shipped around to special projects that didn't necessarily comport with our skills. When the admin finally decided to get rid of us as it would still be a while before starting the next campaign, a massive effort was made to constructively dismiss staff to avoid paying severance. In my department of eight people, seven had left within a year.

As others have mentioned, it is a big university that is largely decentralized so getting things done outside your college or faculty often involves wending your way through a labyrinth of staffers, many of whom seem to delight in serving as obstacles (particularly if you work for the central administration).

Advice to Management

Understand that while students and faculty deservedly are the main focus, it is staff who get things done. Try to get out of their way and make it easier for them to help you. They get that you are busy and that you often have big egos, but demonstrating the foresight in your career that you used to achieve your advanced degree(s) would be helpful.

"Exploitation"

Current Employee - PhD Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - PhD Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at University of Toronto full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a good University, world class research is done at the expense of exploiting their trainees

Cons

long PhDs, little incentive to improve the program as their name/reputation attracts an abundance of smart young students that don't know any better, some serious concerns regarding harassment at the student-supervisor level with students not feeling like they have the support to report it on the record.

Advice to Management

It's your moral duty to do something about the PhD program.