University of Vermont - Great location, terrible weather | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of Vermont

"Great location, terrible weather"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Burlington, VT
Former Employee - Research Assistant in Burlington, VT

I worked at University of Vermont part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful and unique location. Good benefits package. The university is one of the most green in the country. Good students and staff to collaborate with.

Cons

Overcrowded city with no parking, terrible weather, and limited opportunities elsewhere. Low salary for level of education, and high living costs.

Other Employee Reviews for University of Vermont

"Though staff salaries have been stagnant, you otherwise find a high degree of respect from management."

Current Employee - Student Support Generalist in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Student Support Generalist in Burlington, VT

I have been working at University of Vermont full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Respect from my supervisor and a high degree of autonomy are among the best reasons to work here. The campus environment is one of high student activism, and I like that, too.

Cons

Salaries haven't changed for staff for nearly a decade. Meanwhile, faculty and top administrators continue to get great raises. Good for them, bad for us. There are actually two staff union movements going on campus right now. Though I've never really cared about union activity before, I'm hoping that one of the movements gets made official so that we can bargain for higher wages.

Advice to Management

If you're going to preach social justice, then live it yourselves. If you're going to ask staff members' opinions, then please listen rather than just check off that box stating "Asked staff what they thought." We can tell when you're just blowing us off, and it makes for a less-happy workforce.

"Okay for the short term, but not a place for a career"

Former Employee - Laboratory Research Technician in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Laboratory Research Technician in Burlington, VT

Pros

- Can take up to 15 credits worth of classes for free every year
    - Good health coverage and dental plan
    - Beautiful location

Cons

- Virtually no opportunity for career advancement
    - Human resources department is disorganized and rude. Employees constantly must fight with HR to correct mistakes made to benefits, paychecks, taxes withheld, etc.
    - Salary is very low for the level of education, experience and expertise required for most positions
    - Overall disgruntled atmosphere among faculty and staff
    - Very little parking, and can be very expensive to get an employee parking pass, depending on where you are located on campus. Most employees have a 15-20 minute walk from their car to their job location, which can be unpleasant during the winter months.
    - Very heavy on the personal and inter-departmental politics